March 25, 2018
GREENVILLE, S.C. – The Virginia men’s tennis team (11-5, 4-1 ACC) picked up a 4-2 victory over Clemson (7-5, 2-3 ACC) on Sunday (March 25) at the indoor courts at Furman University’s Mickel Tennis Center in Greenville, S.C.
The Cavaliers dropped the doubles point, falling in tiebreakers on both courts two and three, but picked up victories on courts one, three, four and six in singles to win their fifth straight match.
Junior Aswin Lizen (Douglas, Isle of Man) and freshman Gianni Ross (Chicago, Ill.) started things off with a 6-2 victory at No. 2 doubles. Lizen and Ross defeated Simon Baudy and Alex Favrot, who are currently ranked No. 22, giving the UVA tandem their second victory over a ranked doubles team this weekend. Courts two and three were both decided by tiebreakers with Clemson winning both, 7-2 and 7-4 respectively, to take the point.
In singles, the teams had a limited number of indoor courts available, with one through four singles commencing right after doubles with five and six beginning on the first available courts. SÃƒÆ’Ã†’Ãƒâ€ ‘ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â ‘Â¶derlund downed No. 47 Alex Favrot 6-3, 6-3 on court one to tie the match, 1-1. Freshman Matthew Lord (Bloomfield, Conn.) gave UVA a 2-1 lead with a 6-4, 6-3 victory at four. Lizen gave Virginia a 3-1 lead with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Sam Edwards on court three. After Clemson picked up a point on court two, freshman Kyrylo Tsygura (North Potomac, Md.) clinched the match for the Cavaliers on court six, downing Marshall Dagostine in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. Court five was abandoned before completion.
The Cavaliers will play at Duke (March 30) and North Carolina (April 1) next weekend before returning home to host Miami on Friday, April 6 at 3 p.m. at the Snyder Tennis Center. Admission is free for all Virginia home tennis matches.
Virginia 4, #39 Clemson 2
1. #38 Carl Soderlund (VA) def. #47 Alex Favrot (CU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Simon Baudry (CU) def. Gianni Ross (VA) 2-6, 6-4, 7-5
3. #32 Aswin Lizen (VA) def. Sam Edwards (CU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Matthew Lord (VA) def. Carlos Kelaidis (CU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Yizhou Liu (CU) vs. Ammar Alhaqbani (VA) 6-4, 4-3, unfinished
6. Kyrylo Tsygura (VA) def. Marshall Dagostine (CU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Aswin Lizen/Gianni Ross (VA) def. #22 Simon Baudry/Alex Favrot (CU) 6-2
2. Sam Edwards/Yizhou Liu (CU) def. Matthew Lord/Carl Soderlund (VA) 7-6 (7-4)
3. Marshall Dagostine/Carlos Kelaidis (CU) def. Ammar Alhaqbani/Spencer Bozsik (VA) 7-6 (7-2)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,4,3,2,6)