April 27, 2018
CARY, N.C. – The Virginia men’s tennis team (13-12, 5-7 ACC) was eliminated from the 2018 Atlantic Coast Conference Men’s Tennis Championship with a 4-1 loss to top-seeded Wake Forest (23-2, 11-1 ACC) on Friday (April 27) at the Cary Tennis Park in Cary, N.C.
Wake Forest won the doubles point and picked up victories on singles courts two, four and six. Freshman Matthew Lord (Bloomfield, Conn.) earned a point for the Cavaliers with a victory on court five.
“Like I’ve said all year, I am proud of my guys. They left it all out there on the court today,” said Virginia head coach Andres Pedroso. “I have a group of fighters here that believe in themselves, love this program and leave no stone unturned. They are only going to get better. We are young, but we always come to play. All we do is improve. All we do is fight. I am very proud of this group.”
Wake Forest won the doubles point after picking up 6-2 wins on courts two and three. Lord and sophomore Carl Soderlund (Stockholm, Sweden) led 5-2 on court one when play was abandoned.
In singles, Lord and freshman Gianni Ross (Chicago, Ill.) each won their first sets. Lord went on to take his second set to down Christian Seraphim, 6-4, 6-2. Ross dropped his second set to No. 38 Skander Mansouri to force a third set, which was abandoned at 2-1 in the final set.
SÃƒÂ¶derlund was edged 6-4 in his first set in a battle on court one against No. 6 Borna Gojo with the second set knotted 5-5 when play was abandoned.
TThe Cavaliers will await the announcement of the field for the NCAA Men’s Tennis Championships. The selection show will stream live online on NCAA.com on Tuesday, May 1 at 5:30 p.m.
#1 Wake Forest 4, #9 Virginia 1
1. Borna Gojo (WF) vs. Carl Soderlund (VA); 6-4, 5-5 (uf)
2. Petros Chrysochos (WF) def. Aswin Lizen (VA) 6-3, 6-4
3. Skander Mansouri (WF) vs. Gianni Ross (VA); 4-6, 6-3, 2-1 (uf)
4. Bar Botzer (WF) def. Kyrylo Tsygura (VA) 6-4, 6-4
5. Matthew Lord (VA) def. Christian Seraphim (WF) 6-4, 6-2
6. Rrezart Cungu (WF) def. Ammar Alhaqbani (VA) 6-2, 6-2
1. Borna Gojo and Skander Mansouri (WF) vs. Carl Soderlund and Matthew Lord (VA); 2-5 (uf)
2. Bar Botzer and Petros Chrysochos (WF) def. Aswin Lizen and Gianni Ross (VA) 6-2
3. Ian Dempster and Christian Seraphim (WF) def. Ammar Alhaqbani and Kyrylo Tsygura (VA) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (6,5,2,4)