CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia men's basketball team defeated Towson 73-42 on Tuesday night at John Paul Jones Arena.
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia men’s basketball team defeated Towson 73-42 on Tuesday night at John Paul Jones Arena.
The Cavaliers shot 48 percent from the field and 38 percent from the 3-point line. Two players finished in double figures. Junior Ty Jerome (New Rochelle, N.Y.) had a game-high 20 points and redshirt sophomore De’Andre Hunter (Philadelphia, Pa.) finished his second career double-double (13 points, 10 rebounds).
HOW IT HAPPENED
UVA used an 18-1 run in the second half to break open the game. The run included two Jerome’s career-high tying six threes, a three-point play by Jay Huff (Durham, N.C.) and five points by Kyle Guy (Indianapolis, Ind.) The Cavaliers had every player on the bench appear in the game.
— Virginia Men’s Basketball (@UVAMensHoops) November 7, 2018
THE GAME BALL GOES TO
Jerome was 6-of-10 from the field, with all six field goals coming from 3-point range. He finished with 20 points, four assists, three rebounds and two assists.
• UVA is 20-1 in its last 21 season openers
• Virginia has a six-game winning streak on opening night and is 9-1 in season openers under head coach Tony Bennett
• UVA held Towson to 42 points. Bennett-coached teams are 102-3 when holding teams to under 50 points
• UVA debuts: Braxton Key, Kihei Clark, Jayden Nixon, Kody Stattmann and Grant Kersey
• Double-figure scorers: Ty Jerome (20), De’Andre Hunter (13)
Virginia will remain home to host George Washington on Sunday at 2 p.m. on John Paul Jones Arena.