CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – No. 3 Virginia (18-1, 6-1 ACC) travels to No. 23 NC State (16-4, 4-3 ACC) for an ACC battle on Tuesday (Jan. 29). Tipoff at PNC Arena is set for 7 p.m. on ESPN2.
• UVA has a six-game winning streak vs. NC State.
• UVA is 5-1 in true road games and 4-1 vs. ranked opponents.
• The Cavaliers are 13-1 in ACC road action over the past two seasons.
• Jay Huff (Durham) and Braxton Key (Charlotte) are North Carolina natives.
• The Virginia-NC State game will be televised on ESPN2, streamed online on ACC Network Extra (WatchESPN.com) and broadcast on the Virginia Sports Radio Network, VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Sports app.
• Live statistics will be located on VirginiaSports.com and the Virginia Sports app.
The Head Coach
• Three-time National and ACC Coach of the Year Tony Bennett has a 237-87 (.732) mark in 10 seasons at Virginia and 306-120 (.718) career mark in 13 seasons.
• Bennett became the 80th active Division I head coach to win his 300th career game against Marshall on Dec. 31, 2018.
• In 2017-18, Bennett led Virginia to its eighth ACC regular-season title, third ACC Tournament championship, school-record 31 wins, ACC-record 17 league wins and ACC-record 9-0 mark on the road.
• Bennett was named the USBWA Henry Iba National Coach of the Year for the third time to rank second all-time behind legendary John Wooden, who captured the award six times.
UVA Ranked No. 3 in AP Poll
• Virginia is ranked No. 3 for the second straight week in the AP poll.
• The Cavaliers have been ranked in the AP top six in 22 consecutive polls.
• UVA has been ranked in the AP for 28 straight polls and has been ranked in the top 10 in each of the past 24 polls.
• UVA was ranked No. 5 in the preseason polls and has been ranked in the top 10 in the preseason rankings in four of the past five seasons.
• In 2017-18, Virginia became the fourth team in the Top 25 era to earn a No. 1 ranking after being unranked in the preseason.
Last Time Out
• De’Andre Hunter scored 19 points to lead five players in double figures as No. 3 Virginia routed Notre Dame 82-55 on Jan. 26 at Purcell Pavilion.
• Kyle Guy (15), Ty Jerome (13), Kihei Clark (12) and Mamadi Diaite (10) also reached double figures as UVA improved to 5-1 in true road contests.
• The Hoos jumped to a 12-0 lead and never trailed in the ACC win.
• Diakite matched career highs in blocked shots (4) and rebounds (7).
• The Cavaliers tied a school record with two turnovers and shot 52.2 percent from the field.
All-Time vs. NC State
• Virginia is 65-82 all-time vs. NC State in the series that dates back to 1912-13.
• The Cavaliers are 11-0 in their last 10 regular-season games against NC State and 11-2 in their last 13 games including a pair of losses in the ACC Tournament.
• UVA posted a 68-51 win against NC State in Charlottesville last season and has limited the Wolfpack to 55 or fewer points in each game during its six-game winning streak in the series.
• UVA has a five-game winning streak against NC State at PNC Arena.
• Tony Bennett is 11-2 vs. NC State as head coach at Virginia.
Last Time vs. the Wolfpack
• Devon Hall scored a career-best 25 points and then-No. 3 UVA posted a 68-51 victory over NC State on Jan. 14, 2018.
• Kyle Guy added 17 points for the Cavaliers, who have won 11 straight regular-season meetings against the Wolfpack.
• Torin Dorn scored 16 points to lead N.C. State, which arrived with a 3-0 record against ranked teams.
• N.C. State scoring leader Allerik Freeman (15.2 points per game) did not score in 29 minutes, missing all five of his shots from the field.
• Virginia led 30-20 at the break and quickly built its margin to 37-20 in the opening minutes after halftime. The lead grew as high as 21.
UVA in the National Statistical Rankings
• As of Jan. 28, UVA ranks first nationally in scoring defense (52.6 ppg), turnovers per game (8.4), fewest turnovers (159) and 3-point field goal percentage defense (24.9%), second in scoring margin (21.5), third in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.72), fourth in field goal percentage defense (37.3%) and winning percentage (94.7%), ninth in fewest fouls (284), 10th in free throw percentage (76.8%), 11th in personal fouls per game (14.9), 13th in 3-point field goal percentage (39.6%), 25th in rebound margin (6.4), 27th in turnover margin (3.6) and 33rd in field goal percentage (48.1%).
Cavalier Quartet Among ACC Leaders
• As of Jan. 28, Kyle Guy ranks first in the ACC in 3-pointers (3.0), third in 3-point percentage (46%), 10th in field goal percentage (47.6%), 11th in minutes (33.1) and 12th in scoring (15.0).
• Ty Jerome ranks third in assists (4.9) and assist-to-turnover ratio (3.3), sixth in 3-point percentage (40.2%) and 18th in minutes (31.2).
• De’Andre Hunter ranks fourth in field goal percentage (53.5%) and 15th in scoring (14.7).
• Braxton Key ranks 23rd in rebounding (5.7).
On the Horizon
• No. 3 Virginia hosts Miami on Saturday, Feb. 2. Tipoff at John Paul Jones Arena is set for 2 p.m. on Raycom.