LEXINGTON, Ky. – The No. 12 Virginia men’s tennis team (5-1, 1-1 ACC) closed out its weekend roadtrip with a 5-2 victory at Kenucky (4-3, 0-0 SEC) on Sunday (Feb. 3).
The Cavaliers picked up the doubles point and won the first four singles matches to jump out to a 5-0 lead. Kentucky won the final two singles matches in third-set tiebreakers.
The Cavaliers dominated in doubles, winning 6-2 on both the second and third courts to secure the point.
In singles, sophomore Gianni Ross (Chicago, Ill.) picked up a 6-4, 6-1 win over Theo McDonald over court four. Senior Aswin Lizen (Douglas, Isle of Man) followed with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Fabian Penzkofer on court six. Junior Carl Soderlund (Stockholm, Sweden) clinched the victory with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Ryo Matsumura on court one. Senior Henrik Wiersholm (Kirkland, Wash.) made it a 5-1 advantage with a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Cesar Bourgois on court three.
Virginia’s next home match is a showdown on Friday, Feb. 8 against No. 1 Wake Forest at 6 p.m. at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
#12 Virginia 5, Kentucky 2
1. Carl Soderlund (VA) def. Ryo Matsumura (UK) 6-1, 6-3
2. Enzo Wallart (UK) def. Brandon Nakashima (VA) 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
3. Henrik Wiersholm (VA) def. Cesar Bourgois (UK) 7-5, 6-4
4. #38 Gianni Ross (VA) def. Theo McDonald (UK) 6-4, 6-1
5. Kento Yamada (UK) def. #54 Ryan Goetz (VA) 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-4)
6. Aswin Lizen (VA) def. Fabian Penzkofer (UK) 6-1, 6-1
1. Carl Soderlund/William Woodall (VA) vs. Cesar Bourgois/Enzo Wallart (UK) 4-4
2. Henrik Wiersholm/Brandon Nakashima (VA) def. Ryo Matsumura/Kento Yamada (UK) 6-2
3. Gianni Ross/Ryan Goetz (VA) def. Theo McDonald/Fabian Penzkofer (UK) 6-2