CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia men’s tennis team (4-2, 1-1 ACC) picked up a 6-1 victory over Boston College (1-2, 0-1 ACC) on Friday (Jan. 31) at the Boar’s Head Sports Club in Charlottesville, Va.
The Cavaliers will close out the weekend by hosting UCF on Sunday, Feb. 2 at 12 p.m. Admission and parking are both free of charge. Sunday’s game will also feature the Sunday Sundae bar with free ice cream and toppings for fans between the doubles and the singles point (while supplies last).
- Sophomore William Woodall (Washington, D.C.) and freshman Christian Alshon (Boca Raton, Fla.) clinched the doubles point with a 6-4 win on court three. Ryan Goetz and senior Ammar Alhaqbani (Alexandria, Va.) were leading 6-5, 40-15 on court one when play was halted
- Junior Matthew Lord (Bloomfield, Conn.) was edged 6-3 in his first set in singles, but came back with dominant 6-1, 6-3 victories in his second two sets
- Woodall, playing on court two, was the first match to finish, as he picked up a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Javi Amantegui
- Senior Carl Soderlund (Stockholm, Sweden) and Goetz both won in straight sets on courts one and two
- Alhaqbani won his first set 7-5, but his second set was decided in an epic 17-15 tiebreaker to close out the match
ON THE HORIZON
- The Cavaliers close out the current homestand by hosting No. 8 TCU on Thursday, Feb. 6 at 6 p.m. at the Boar’s Head Sports Club, the last home match until UVA hosts Notre Dame on Sunday, March 1 at 12 p.m.