CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia men’s tennis team (4-3) suffered a 6-1 loss to UCF (3-3) on Sunday (Feb. 2) at the Boar’s Head Sports Club in Charlottesville, Va.
The Knights won the doubles point and won five of six singles matches. Junior Matthew Lord (Bloomfield, Conn.) had the lone singles victory for the Cavaliers, picking up a 6-4, 1-6, 6-3 victory over Bogdan Pavel on court four.
- Senior Carl Soderlund (Stockholm, Sweden) and Matthew Lord won 6-3 on doubles court one, but USF picked up a 6-3 victory on court two and a 6-4 win on court three to secure the point
- Matthew Lord’s singles opponent, Bogdan Pavel, was ranked No. 108, giving Lord his first victory over a ranked opponent this season
- Ryan Goetz (Greenlawn, N.Y.) rallied after losing his first set by winning his second set in a tiebreaker, 7-2, against No. 29 Juan Pablo Mazzuchi
ON THE HORIZON
- The Cavaliers close out the current homestand by hosting No. 8 TCU on Thursday, Feb. 6 at 6 p.m. at the Boar’s Head Sports Club
- Virginia will close out the week by traveling to play a non-conference contest at No. 9 Wake Forest on Sunday, Feb. 9 at 1 p.m.