CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Virginia softball (5-4) will play five games in three days at the Wings Etc. Classic hosted by USC Upstate (8-2) in Spartanburg, S.C., beginning Friday (Feb. 21).
The Cavaliers will face Tennessee Tech twice while squaring off with Maine, La Salle and the host Spartans once apiece. All five games will be played at Cyrill Softball Stadium.
Friday, Feb. 21 – Tennessee Tech | 1 p.m.
Friday, Feb. 21 – Maine | 3 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 22 – La Salle | 5 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 23 – Tennessee Tech | 11 a.m.
Sunday, Feb. 23 – USC Upstate | 1 p.m.
Sunday’s matchup against USC Upstate will air of ESPN+. Links to Sunday’s broadcast and live stats for all five games of the tournament are available on VirginiaSports.com.
• Virginia meets Tennessee Tech for just the fourth and fifth time in program history. The weekend matchups are the first in the series since 2005. The Golden Eagles are 6-4 to open the season.
• The Cavaliers lead the all-time series with Maine, 4-2, but the most recent meeting came back in 2006. Prior to that, the contest was last played in 1990. Maine has yet to play in 2020.
• Virginia and La Salle meet once again in Spartanburg, the site of the two’s last clash in 2016. The Cavaliers earned a 6-3 win over the Explorers in that meeting and are 2-0 all-time in the series. La Salle is also opening its 2020 season this weekend.
• USC Upstate has captured three of the four meetings all-time against the Cavaliers. Virginia’s lone win in the series came in 1988. The Spartans are 8-2 on the year.
HOO TO WATCH
• Since moving into the lead-off spot in the order, junior Savana Avilla (Phoenix, Ariz.) has produced a triple, home run and five RBI.
• Avilla’s homer against Georgetown was the first of her career.
• On the year, the junior is hitting .343, the second-best average on the team.
• Avilla already has more hits and RBI in nine games this season than she had in her previous two years combined.
• Five Cavaliers already have five or more RBI through nine games.
• Tori Gilbert (Mechanicsville, Va.) leads the way with nine RBI while Donna Friedman (Orange, Calif.) follows with six.
• Avilla, Kate Covington (McLean, Va.) and Ashley Jennings (Forest, Va.) each have five RBI already. Jennings career high is 10 while Covington’s is 13.
• Freshman Katie Goldberg (Atlanta, Ga.) has four RBI to start her career in eight games.
• Virginia has already swiped 16 bags this season after finishing the past two seasons with 23 steals.
• Sophomore Bailey Winscott (Clinton, Miss.) is a perfect 5-for-5 in steal attempts, already marking a new career high.
• Gilbert is a perfect 3-for-3 in steal attempts.
• Eight different Cavaliers have recorded a stolen base this season.
• After two consecutive years with over 200 walks as a staff, Virginia showed it can leave that stat in the past.
• Through 66 innings of work, Virginia has issued just 19 walks. Last season, the Hoos walked 55 batters in the first 65 innings of the year. That’s a 65-percent reduction.
• Virginia’s 3.37 K-BB ratio is 40th in the country and second in the ACC this season.
2020 TICKET INFORMATION
Virginia softball season and single-game tickets for the inaugural season at Palmer Park are on sale now. All seating is general admission in 2020 with season tickets just $45. UVA faculty and staff may purchase season tickets for $35. Single-game tickets are available for $5 in advance or $8 at the box office on game day.
Fans may purchase tickets online at UVATix.com or through the Virginia Athletics Ticket Office in Bryant Hall at Scott Stadium. The ticket office is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. for in-person or telephone purchases. Telephone purchases can be made by calling 1-800-542-UVA1 (8821) or locally at 434-924-UVA1 (8821).
CLEAR BAG POLICY
Virginia athletics’ clear bag policy and entry procedures will be in place for all home softball games at Palmer Park this season. More information on the clear bag policy and other Palmer Park policies can be found here.
Virginia opens ACC play at softball debutant, Clemson, on February 28. The Cavaliers and Tigers will meet for a three-game series over the coming weekend.