CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia men’s tennis team (7-4) won both matches of a doubleheader on Thursday (Feb. 27), picking up a 5-2 win over George Mason (2-4) in the first match and sweeping Norfolk State (0-2), 7-0, in the nightcap.
Against George Mason, the Cavaliers jumped out to a 5-0 lead, before the Patriots picked up singles wins in super tiebreakers on courts four and six. Against Norfolk State, the Cavaliers swept the singles courts in straight-set victories.
- Virginia went 5-0 in doubles matches. UVA won all three courts against George Mason. Norfolk State did not field a No. 3 doubles team in its match with the Cavaliers sweeping the two contested matches.
- Junior Matthew Lord (Bloomfield, Conn.) and senior Carl Soderlund (Stockholm, Sweden) picked up two wins on the No. 1 doubles court
- Junior Ethan Moszkowski (New York, N.Y.) picked up his first singles win in a dual match, topping Norfolk State’s Ibrahim Abbas 6-0, 6-1 on court five
- Junior Jerome Romualdez (Manila, Philippines) had a dominant win 6-0, 6-0 against Norfolk State’s Anderson Brickhouse on court six
- Söderlund and senior Ammar Alhaqbani (Alexandria, Va.) both went 2-0 in singles on the day. Alhaqbani won his match-up against George Mason’s Faisal Alrebdi 6-1, 6-1 and his match against Augustin Carrizo 6-2, 6-2
ON THE HORIZON
- The Cavaliers will close out the weekend by hosting Notre Dame on Sunday, March 1 at 12 noon at the Snyder Tennis Center
- Please not the 12:00 start time to this match. The match was originally slated for a later time when the schedule was announced, but has been moved up to a noon start