CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – No. 9 Virginia (13-3, 9-1 ACC) travels to Georgia Tech (9-6, 5-4 ACC) in ACC action on Wednesday, Feb. 10. Tipoff at McCamish Pavilion is set for 7 p.m. on Regional Sports Networks and Virginia Sports Radio Network.
• No. 9 Virginia (13-3, 9-1 ACC) travels to Georgia Tech (9-6, 5-4 ACC) for an ACC contest on Wednesday, Feb. 10.
• UVA is first in the ACC at 9-1, while Georgia Tech is sixth at 5-4.
• As of Feb. 8, Virginia ranks first nationally in turnovers per game (9.0), second in free throw percentage (81.5), third in personal fouls per game (12.9), sixth in 3-point field goal percentage (39.8), eighth in scoring defense (60.1) and assist/turnover ratio (1.56), and 18th in field goal percentage (49.5).
• UVA is 4-1 on the road in league play.
• Sam Hauser is the ACC Player of the Week after averaging 20.5 points and 5.5 rebounds in a pair of UVA victories.
• The Virginia-Georgia Tech game will be televised on Regional Sports Networks.
• The game will also be broadcast on the Virginia Sports Radio Network, VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Sports app.
• Live statistics will be located on VirginiaSports.com and the Virginia Sports app.
• Join the Voice of the Cavaliers Dave Koehn and special guest Francisco Caffaro for the “Wahoo Walkthrough” at 6 p.m. on the Virginia Sports App, VirginiaSports.com and select stations on the Virginia Sports Radio Network.
The Head Coach
• Dean and Markel Families Head Men’s Basketball Coach Tony Bennett has a 290-99 (.746) mark in 12 seasons at Virginia and 359-132 (.731) career mark in 15 seasons.
• The three-time National and four-time ACC Coach of the Year led the Cavaliers to their eighth straight season with 23 or more wins in 2019-20.
• In 2018-19, Bennett led the Cavaliers to their first NCAA national championship, a share of their ninth ACC regular-season title and school-record 35 wins.
• UVA is 145-59 (.711) in ACC play (82-20 at home & 63-39 away), 162-29 (.848) at home and 145-40 (.784) in non-conference action (82-7 at JPJ) under Bennett.
• Bennett ranks third all-time in winning percentage (.711) among ACC head coaches with 100 or more ACC regular-season wins.
All-Time vs. Georgia Tech
• Virginia is 44-40 all-time vs. Georgia Tech, including a 14-24 record in Atlanta, in the series that dates back to 1947-48.
• The Cavaliers have a seven-game winning streak in the series, including a 63-58 road win last season.
• Virginia is 15-2 in its last 17 games against Georgia Tech, including a 14-2 mark under head coach Tony Bennett.
Last Time vs. the Yellow Jackets
• Sam Hauser scored 22 points and Jay Huff added 18 points and five blocks as then-No. 13 Virginia rallied for a 64-62 win over Georgia Tech on Jan. 23.
• The Cavaliers erased a 49-38 Georgia Tech lead and outscored the Yellow Jackets 26-13 to gain the win.
• Casey Morsell chipped in nine points and four rebounds off the bench, while Kihei Clark added eight assists.
• UVA shot 48.1 percent and outrebounded Georgia Tech 32-25.
• Jose Alvarado led Georgia Tech with 20 points, eight assists and six steals.
Hoo Are These Cavaliers?
• Kihei Clark, Sam Hauser and Jay Huff lead the Cavaliers into action at NC State.
Clark, who dished out eight assists vs. Pitt, has averaged 9.8 points and team-high 4.5 assists.
• Hauser leads the team in scoring (15.4 ppg) and rebounding (7.0 rpg), and is shooting 52 percent from the field and 42.9 percent from 3-point range.
• Huff leads the team in blocked shots (2.3 bpg) and is second in scoring (13.6 ppg) and rebounding (6.3 rpg).
• Trey Murphy III (11.1 ppg) leads UVA in free throw shooting (88.9%) and 3-point shooting (47.9%), and is second with 35 3-pointers.
• Reece Beekman has a team-high 24 steals, 43 assists and 45 rebounds.
• Tomas Woldetensae (44.4 3FG%) provides bench scoring, while Casey Morsell (5.7 ppg) is UVA’s top perimeter defender.
• Justin McKoy (3.4 ppg and 2.8 rpg) and Kadin Shedrick (3.5 ppg & 2.9 rpg) have added depth, while Kody Stattmann (4.7 ppg, 2.3 rpg) remains sidelined with a non-COVID-19 related cardiac issue.
UVA Ranked No. 9 in Latest AP Poll
• Virginia is ranked No. 9 in the latest Associated Press poll.
• UVA has been ranked in the top 25 of the AP poll for 14 straight weeks over the past two seasons.
• UVA was ranked No. 4 in both preseason polls, marking its third AP preseason top-5 ranking in school history (No. 1 in 1982-83 and No. 5 in 2018-19).
• UVA has been ranked in the top 25 in the preseason rankings in nine of the past 10 seasons.
Last Time Out
• Sam Hauser scored a season-high 23 points and Tomas Woldetensae added 14 points off the bench in then-No. 14 Virginia’s 73-66 win over Pitt on Feb. 6.
• UVA broke the game open with a 16-0 second-half run, highlighted by back-to-back 3-pointers from Huff and two more from Hauser.
• Hauser shot a blistering 8 of 9 from the field, including 3 of 4 3-pointers, while Woldetensae matched season highs in points and 3-pointers (4).
• UVA shot 53.2 percent from the field and 50 percent from distance.
• Justin Champagnie led Pitt with 18 points and 10 rebounds.
• The Panthers outrebounded the Cavaliers, 33-27, and scored 42 of their 66 points in the paint.
On The Horizon
• No. 9 Virginia hosts North Carolina on Saturday, Feb. 13. Tipoff at John Paul Jones Arena is set for 6 p.m. on ESPN, ESPN Radio and Virginia Sports Radio Network.