CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Virginia (11-7, 5-3 ACC) travels to NC State (9-10, 2-6 ACC) for an ACC contest on Saturday, Jan. 22. Tipoff at PNC Arena is set for 4 p.m. on ACC Network.
• UVA has an 11-game winning streak at PNC Arena.
• UVA is 3-3 on the road and 5-3 away from JPJ.
• NC State guard Casey Morsell season played two seasons at Virginia before transferring after the 2020-21 season.
• The Virginia-NC State game will be televised on ACC Network and streamed online at WatchESPN.com and ESPN App.
• The game will also be broadcast on Virginia Sports Radio Network, VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Sports app.
• Live statistics will be available on VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Sports app.
The Head Coach
• Dean and Markel Families Head Men’s Basketball Coach Tony Bennett has a 306-110 (.736) mark in 13 seasons at UVA and 375-143 (.724) career mark in 16 seasons as a head coach.
• Bennett won his 300th game at Virginia with the 61-43 victory against Lehigh on Nov. 26, 2021.
• The three-time National (2007, 2015 and 2018) and four-time ACC Coach of the Year (2014, 2015, 2018 and 2019) guided the Cavaliers to their 10th ACC regular-season championship in 2020-21.
• In 2018-19, Bennett led the Cavaliers to their first NCAA national championship, a share of their ninth ACC regular-season title and a school-record 35 wins.
• Bennett has led UVA to 10 consecutive postseason appearances (2012-21) and seven consecutive NCAA tournaments (2014-21).
• UVA is 154-65 (.703) in ACC play (86-23 at home & 68-42 away), 173-34 (.836) at home and 152-45 (.772) in non-conference action (86-9 at JPJ) under Bennett.
• Bennett ranks third all-time in winning percentage (.703) among ACC head coaches with 100 or more ACC wins.
Hoo Are These Cavaliers?
• The Cavaliers play defense, take good shots, share and take care of the basketball, rebound, and play more defense.
• UVA is led by its returning backcourt of Kihei Clark (9.1 ppg & 4 apg) and Reece Beekman (8.1 ppg, 4.8 apg, 3.6 rpg & 2.2 spg), and the additions of transfers Jayden Gardner (14 ppg & 7 rpg) and Armaan Franklin (12.2 ppg).
• The Cavaliers added transfers Gardner (East Carolina) and Franklin (Indiana) to fill the void left by standouts Sam Hauser (16 ppg), Jay Huff (13 ppg) and Trey Murphy III (11.3 ppg).
• Gardner averaged 18.5 points and 8.9 rebounds in 79 career games at East Carolina, while Franklin averaged 11.4 points and shot 42.5 percent from 3-point range in 2020-21.
• Kadin Shedrick (6.2 ppg, 5.1 rpg & 2.7 bpg) and Francisco Caffaro (4.1 ppg & 3.6 rpg) anchor the paint. Shedrick started the first 16 games, while Caffaro has started the last two contests.
• Kody Stattmann (35.5% 3FGs), Taine Murray (42.1% 3FGs), Igor Miliĉić Jr. (36.4% 3FGs) and Carson McCorkle (33.3% 3FGs) provide perimeter depth.
Virginia All-Time vs. NC State
• Virginia is 68-83 all-time vs. NC State in the series that dates back to 1912-13.
• UVA has a seven-game road winning streak in the series.
• The Cavaliers are 13-1 in their last 14 regular-season games against NC State and 14-3 in their last 17 games including a pair of losses in the ACC Tournament.
• UVA has limited the Wolfpack to 57 or fewer points in nine of the last 10 games in the series.
• Tony Bennett is 14-3 vs. NC State as head coach at Virginia.
Last Time vs. The Wolfpack
• Sam Hauser and Trey Murphy III each tallied 18 points to lead then-No. 14 Virginia past NC State, 64-57, on Feb. 3, 2021, in Raleigh, N.C.
• Jay Huff added 12 points and team-high six rebounds for UVA (12-3, 8-1 ACC).
• Kihei Clark added a game-high six assists and Reece Beekman chipped in eight points, five rebounds and two blocked shots.
• UVA sank 20 of 22 free throws and went 19 of 41 from the field.
• Jericole Hellems had a game-high 23 points for NC State (7-7, 3-6 ACC).
Last Time Out
• Reece Beekman scored a team-high 19 points and added a career-high eight assists to lead Virginia (11-7, 5-3 ACC) to a 66-61 victory at Pitt (8-10, 3-4 ACC) on Jan. 19.
• Virginia utilized a 10-0 run in the first half and scored nine unanswered in the second half.
• Kadin Shedrick and Francisco Caffaro fouled out down the stretch, but Virginia led for the final 16:52.
• Virginia’s victory marked the eighth consecutive win over the Panthers as the Cavaliers also swept the season series.
• Jayden Gardner scored 14 points and Kadin Shedrick matched a career best with 12 points on 6 of 6 shooting.
• Both teams shot 50 percent and the Hoos outscored the Panthers 36-30 in the paint.
• John Hugley led Pitt with a game-high 23 points.
On The Horizon
• Virginia hosts Louisville in an ACC Big Monday contest on Jan. 24. Tipoff at John Paul Jones Arena is set for 7 p.m. on ESPN.