CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 7 Virginia men’s tennis team (2-0) picked up a 7-0 victory against Richmond (0-1) on Saturday (Jan. 22) at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
The Cavaliers won all three doubles matches and won the first four singles matches in straight sets. Senior William Woodall won the clinching match on court six, picking up a decisive 6-1, 6-1 victory against Josh Keitelman. Sophomore Alexander Kiefer preserved his straight-set victory on court five by winning a tiebreaker to determine the second set, 7-2. Both grad student Bar Botzer and grad student Gianni Ross, playing on courts one and three, respectively, rebounded from being edged in their first sets 6-4, to winning both of their second sets 6-2 to force third sets. Ross won his 6-2 while Botzer closed out the match with a 6-4 win.
- This match was originally scheduled to be played on Thursday, Jan. 20, but was postponed because of inclement weather
ON THE HORIZON
- The Cavaliers close out the weekend by hosting No. 20 Harvard on Sunday, Jan. 23 at 1 p.m.
#7 Virginia 7, Richmond 0
- #71 Bar Botzer (VA) def. Daniel Kliebhan (RIC) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
- #66 J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. Alex Wernink (RIC) 6-0, 6-1
- Gianni Ross (VA) def. John Walsh (RIC) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
- Jackson Allen (VA) def. Campbell Erwin (RIC) 6-1, 6-1
- Alexander Kiefer (VA) def. Sebastian Miano (RIC) 6-1, 7-6 (7-2)
- William Woodall (VA) def. Josh Keitelman (RIC) 6-1, 6-1
- Chris Rodesch/William Woodall (VA) def. Daniel Kliebhan/Josh Keitelman (RIC) 6-1
- Bar Botzer/Jackson Allen (VA) def. Campbell Erwin/John Walsh (RIC) 6-1
- Inaki Montes/Alexander Kiefer (VA) def. Alex Wernink/Sebastian Miano (RIC) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,4,6,5,3,1)
Video Highlights vs Liberty