CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 7 Virginia men’s tennis team (3-0) picked up its first win of the season against a top-20 team with a 6-1 victory against No. 20 Harvard (2-1) on Sunday (Jan. 23) at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
The Cavaliers won the doubles point and took the first four singles matches in straight sets to take a 5-0 lead. Sophomore Chris Rodesch battled for a three-set victory on court two to give UVA a 6-0 lead. Harvard picked up its point by winning a three-hour battle on court three for the final 6-1 score.
The Cavaliers won on doubles courts two and three to clinch the point. In singles, sophomore Jeffrey von der Schulenburg cruised to a quick 6-1, 6-1 win on court four, followed minutes later by senior Ryan Goetz closing out a 6-2, 6-1 win on court five. Sophomore Iñaki Montes picked up the highest-ranked win of his career while playing on court one where he topped No. 17 Henry von der Schulenburg 6-2, 6-3, to clinch the win for the Cavaliers. Grad student Jackson Allen followed with a 6-3, 6-1 win on court six to make it 5-0 Cavaliers.
- Harvard’s Henry von der Schulenburg is the older brother of Cavalier sophomore Jeffrey von der Schulenburg
FROM HEAD COACH ANDRES PEDROSO
“Our team was ready for a very tough match today. Harvard was a great test for us. They are going to be a very good team down the road. I thought our team really competed well across the board. I am really looking forward to next weekend and a great week of practice in preparation.”
ON THE HORIZON
- The Cavaliers host ITA Kickoff Weekend matches next weekend with Ball State, Georgia Tech and MTSU vying for a spot at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships being held Feb. 18-21 in Seattle, Wash.
- Georgia Tech and MTSU will play at 9 a.m. on Saturday, Jan. 29. Virginia will face Ball State at noon. The winners will meet at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 30 with the consolation match scheduled for 10 a.m. that morning
#7 Virginia 6, #20 Harvard 1
- #52 Inaki Montes (VA) def. #17 Henry vd Schulenburg (HARVARD) 6-2, 6-3
- #13 Chris Rodesch (VA) def. #108 Harris Walker (HARVARD) 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
- #57 Brian Shi (HARVARD) def. #71 Bar Botzer (VA) 5-7, 7-5, 6-3
- #66 J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. Ronan Jachuck (HARVARD) 6-1, 6-1
- #27 Ryan Goetz (VA) def. Steven Sun (HARVARD) 6-2, 6-
- Jackson Allen (VA) def. David Lins (HARVARD) 6-3, 6-1
- #11 Daniel Milavsky/Brian Shi (HARVARD) def. Chris Rodesch/William Woodall (VA) 7-5
- Inaki Montes/Ryan Goetz (VA) def. Harris Walker/Ronan Jachuck (HARVARD) 6-4
- Bar Botzer/J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. Steven Sun/David Lins (HARVARD) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,4,1,6,3)
Video Highlights vs Liberty