CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The No. 8 Virginia men’s tennis team (17-5, 10-0 ACC) closed out the weekend with a 6-1 victory at No. 28 Miami (14-8, 3-6 ACC) on Sunday (April 10) at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center in Coral Gables, Fla.
Miami opened the match with a 6-1 win on the third doubles court, but sophomore Iñaki Montes and senior Ryan Goetz won 6-4 on court two to even it up. Sophomore Chris Rodesch and grad student Bar Botzer pulled out a 7-5 victory on the top court to give UVA the 1-0 lead.
Sophomore Alexander Kiefer opened singles with a dominant 6-1, 6-0 win on court six. Senior Gianni Ross followed with a 6-2, 6-2 win on five. Sophomore Jeffrey von der Schulenburg clinched the victory with a 6-2, 6-1 win on court three. Senior Ryan Goetz added a 6-4, 6-3 victory on court four to put UVA ahead 5-0.
The remaining two singles courts were decided by tiebreakers. Montes won his first set 6-1 against Dan Martin on court one, but lost a deuce point to drop the second set 7-5. Martin won a third-set super tiebreaker 10-4 to pick up a point for the Hurricanes.
Rodesch won his first set 6-4 against Bojan Jankulovski and then won a tiebreaker 7-4 to take the second set and close out the 6-1 Cavalier victory.
- Virginia has won its last 12 matches
ON THE HORIZON
- The Cavaliers close out the road portion of their schedule by playing at Virginia Tech on Wednesday, April 13 in the Commonwealth Clash
- Virginia returns home to take on Boston College on Sunday, Apr. 17 at 1 p.m. at the Virginia Tennis Facility at the Boar’s Head Sports Club
#8 Virginia 6, #28 Miami 1
- Dan Martin (UM) def. #35 Inaki Montes (UVA) 1-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-4)
- #19 Chris Rodesch (UVA) def. Bojan Jankulovski (UM) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
- #28 J vd Schulenburg (UVA) def. Juan Martin Jalif (UM) 6-2, 6-1
- #70 Ryan Goetz (UVA) def. Oren Vasser (UM) 6-4, 6-3
- Gianni Ross (UVA) def. Martin Katz (UM) 6-2, 6-2
- Alexander Kiefer (UVA) def. Casper Christensen (UM) 6-1, 6-0
- #49 Chris Rodesch/Bar Botzer (UVA) def. Franco Aubone/Juan Martin Jalif (UM) 7-5
- #59 Inaki Montes/Ryan Goetz (UVA) def. Martin Katz/Oren Vasser (UM) 6-4
- Dan Martin/Bojan Jankulovski (UM) def. Alexander Kiefer/Jackson Allen (UVA) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,5,3,4,1)