CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia men’s tennis team (20-5, 12-0 ACC) opened play at the 2022 Atlantic Coast Conference Men’s Tennis Championship with a 4-0 victory against Florida State (16-10, 5-7 ACC) in a quarterfinal match held on Friday (Apr. 22) at the Rome Tennis Center in Rome, Ga.
The top-seed Cavaliers picked up wins on the top two doubles courts to take a 1-0 lead against the eighth-seeded Seminoles. UVA won five of six first sets and picked up its three single victories in straight sets. Sophomore Iñaki Montes won the clinching point on court two.
Virginia will face fourth-seeded Louisville on Saturday at 10 a.m. in the semifinals.
Montes and senior Ryan Goetz opened the match with a 6-2 victory on the top doubles court. Sophomore Chris Rodesch and grad student Bar Botzer clinched the point with a 6-0 win on court two.
In singles, Botzer gave UVA a 2-0 lead with a 6-1, 6-2 victory on court five. Rodesch followed with a 6-3, 6-2 win against Loris Pourroy. Montes closed it out with a 6-3, 6-1 victory against Andreja Petrovic.
- Virginia is ranked No. 6 in the latest ITA team rankings. Florida State is No. 32
- Ryan Goetz was up 5-3 in his second set when play was halted
- Gianni Ross and Alexander Kiefer were up 5-2 in their doubles match when play was halted
UVA & THE ACC CHAMPIONSHIP
- The Cavaliers are the reigning ACC Champions having won last year’s title with a 4-3 victory against North Carolina
- UVA has won 13 ACC Championships (2004-05, 2007-15, 2017, 2021)
- This is the third time the ACC Championship has been held at the Rome Tennis Center. Virginia the title both of the previous times it was there (2017 and 2021)
- The Cavaliers went 12-0 in the ACC, their 11th time not dropping a conference dual
- The Cavaliers were the ACC regular-season champions for the 15th time
HOW TO FOLLOW
- Saturday and Sunday’s matches will stream online through ACC Network Extra
- Live scores will be available for all matches of the tournament
#6 Virginia 4, #32 Florida State 0
- #23 Chris Rodesch (VA) def. #58 Loris Pourroy (FSU_M) 6-3, 6-2
- Inaki Montes (VA) def. Andreja Petrovic (FSU_M) 6-3, 6-1
- #25 J vd Schulenburg (VA) vs. Richard Thongoana (FSU_M) 6-4, 3-3, unfinished
- #85 Ryan Goetz (VA) vs. Sebastian Arcila (FSU_M) 6-1, 5-3, unfinished
- Bar Botzer (VA) def. Youcef Rihane (FSU_M) 6-1, 6-2
- Gianni Ross (VA) vs. J. Dous Karpensschif (FSU_M) 5-7, 3-2, unfinished
- Inaki Montes/Ryan Goetz (VA) def. #89 Maks SIlagy/J. Dous Karpensschif (FSU_M) 6-2
- #52 Chris Rodesch/Bar Botzer (VA) def. Loris Pourroy/Andreja Petrovic (FSU_M) 6-0
- Gianni Ross/Alexander Kiefer (VA) vs. Alex Bulte/Youcef Rihane (FSU_M) 5-2, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (5,1,2)