CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – The No. 1 Virginia women’s and No. 14 men’s swimming and diving teams combined for eight event wins on the first day of a two-day tri meet with North Carolina and NC State.
The teams competed in nine different events on both the men’s and women’s sides. UVA’s women won both relays and five individual events. Senior Ella Nelson won two events to lead the Cavaliers.
- The Cavaliers cruised a victory in the 400-yard medley relay with a time of 3:28.63. Sophomore Gretchen Walsh, junior Alex Walsh, senior Kate Douglass and junior Maxine Parker, respectively, combined for the win.
- Freshman Claire Tuggle and senior Maddie Donohoe finished 1-2 in the 500-yard freestyle. Tuggle won with a season-best time of 4:46.12.
- UVA went 1-2 again, this time in the 200-yard breaststroke. Nelson won (2:08.20) her first of two and freshman Emma Weber finished second (2:12.11).
- A. Walsh won the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 1:55.95.
- The Cavaliers took the top three spots in the 50-yard freestyle. G. Walsh won (21.43), was second (21.87) and Parker third (22.34) to make it a UVA sweep.
- Sophomore Reilly Tiltmann took second in the 200-yard backstroke with just .09 separating the first two spots. Tiltmann clocked in with a 1:54.63, behind NC State’s Emma Muzzy in 1:54.54.
- Nelson added a win in the 400-yard individual medley (4:03.66), just out-touching teammate Alex Walsh (4:03.79). UVA had the top-four finishes in the event as junior Abby Harter was third (4:12.98) and junior Sophia Wilson was fourth (4:13.72).
- G. Walsh, Parker, junior Lexi Cuomo and Douglass, respectively, closed out the first day with a win in the 200-yard freestyle relay with a time of 1:27.46. Two seconds ahead of second place.
- Sophomore Jack Aikins, junior Noah Nichols, senior Josh Fong and junior Matt Brownstead, respectively, finished second in the 400-yard medley relay with a time of 3:11.93 behind NC State’s 3:07.27.
- Nichols grabbed a win in the 200-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:56.77 and sophomore Max Iida made it a 1-2 UVA finish with second in 1:59.60.
- Brownstead finished third in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 19.63.
- Aikins finished second in the 200-yard backstroke, finishing in 1:44.95.
- Brownstead, Aikins, freshman Kamal Muhammad and senior August Lamb, respectively, took second in the 200-yard freestyle relay with a time of 1:18.32.
- Senior Jenn Bell placed third on the women’s 3-meter to lead UVA.
- Junior Oliver Mills and senior Joseph Perreault posted season-best scores on the men’s 3-meter. Mills finished sixth with a 324.60 and Perreault had a 313.10 for seventh.
Virginia will close out the two-day meet on Saturday as the teams compete in Raleigh, N.C.