CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 1 Virginia men’s tennis team (7-1) closed out the weekend with a 7-0 victory against Radford (0-3) on Sunday (Feb. 5) at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
The Cavaliers won the doubles point with wins on courts two and three. Virginia took a 6-0 lead with straight-set wins on courts one through five. Jeffrey von der Schulenburg played on the top court, winning 6-2, 6-2. Iñaki Montes had the most dominant victory, winning 6-0, 6-1 on court two. Freshman Doug Yaffa won his first set on court five in a tiebreaker and then dominated his second set, 6-0. William Woodall preserved the shutout by winning a third-set super tiebreaker 10-1.
This was the first-ever meeting between the two teams.
ON THE HORIZON
- The Cavaliers will host No. 2 Ohio State on Saturday, Feb. 11 at 12 p.m. at the Boar’s Head Sports Club
#1 Virginia 7, Radford 0
- J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. TARAMONLIS, Demis (RADM) 6-2, 6-2
- Inaki Montes (VA) def. BALSEKAR, Aditya (RADM) 6-0, 6-1
- Ryan Goetz (VA) def. RAPTIS, Konstantinos (RADM) 6-2, 6-0
- Alexander Kiefer (VA) def. SEVERIN, Guilherme (RADM) 6-1, 6-3
- Douglas Yaffa (VA) def. MARANGONI, Filippo (RADM) 7-6, 6-0
- William Woodall (VA) def. COURTEAU, Charles (RADM) 7-5, 3-6, 10-1
- Mans Dahlberg/J vd Schulenburg (VA) vs. TARAMONLIS, Demis/RAPTIS, Konstantinos (RADM) 4-5, unfinished
- Inaki Montes/Alexander Kiefer (VA) def. BALSEKAR, Aditya/SEVERIN, Guilherme (RADM) 6-3
- Ryan Goetz/Douglas Yaffa (VA) def. COURTEAU, Charles/MARANGONI, Filippo (RADM) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (2,3,4,1,5,6)