— Virginia Men's Tennis (@UVAMensTennis) March 22, 2023
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 8 Virginia men’s tennis team (15-4, 7-0 ACC) picked up a 7-0 victory against Virginia Tech (7-10, 1-6 ACC) on Wednesday (March 22) at the Virginia Tennis Facility at the Boar’s Head Resort.
Virginia won the doubles point and took five of six singles matches in straight sets.
Chris Rodesch and William Woodall set the tone early with a 6-1 victory at No. 2 doubles. Iñaki Montes and Ryan Goetz clinched the point with a 6-3 win on the top court.
In singles, Rodesch downs Alvaro Ariza 6-1, 6-2 on court two. Måns Dahlberg made it 3-0 UVA with a 6-4, 6-2 win on court five. Jeffrey von der Schulenburg clinched the victory with a 7-6 (4), 6-1 victory on three.
The final three courts all finished within a minute of one another. Goetz closed out a 7-6 (1), 6-4 win on court four before Alex Kiefer collected his seventh-straight win with a 3-6, 6-4, 10-6 win on five. Montes topped the Hokies’ lone ranked player, Ryan Fishback, 6-4, 6-2 to complete the sweep.
The match was part of the Smithfield Commonwealth Clash. First coined the Commonwealth Clash during the 2014-2015 season, the rivalry between Virginia and Virginia Tech has a yearlong ongoing tally for the 22 sports the two institutions face off in head-to-head competition. With today’s victory, Virginia earned one point in the Clash and leads 7-6.
- Virginia has won 33 straight matches in ACC play and 40 straight matches against ACC opponents
- Virginia has swept its last three opponents
ON THE HORIZON
- Virginia is on the road this weekend, playing at Boston College on Friday and at No. 13 Harvard on Sunday
- Live scoring will not be available for either match. Live video is available for the Harvard match
#8 Virginia 7, #75 Virginia Tech Men’s Tennis 0
- #37 Inaki Montes (VA) def. #70 Ryan Fishback (VT) 6-4, 6-2
- #25 Chris Rodesch (VA) def. Alvaro Ariza (VT) 6-1, 6-2
- #32 J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. Scott Sculley (VT) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
- #111 Ryan Goetz (VA) def. Jordan Chrysostom (VT) 7-6 (7-1), 6-4
- Mans Dahlberg (VA) def. Frank Thompson (VT) 6-4, 6-2
- Alexander Kiefer (VA) def. Alex Ix (VT) 3-6, 6-4, 10-6
- #53 Inaki Montes/Ryan Goetz (VA) def. #18 Ryan Fishback/Jordan Chrysostom (VT) 6-3
- Chris Rodesch/William Woodall (VA) def. Alvaro Ariza/Alberto Orso (VT) 6-1
- Alexander Kiefer/J vd Schulenburg (VA) vs. Matt Harper/Frank Thompson (VT) 4-5, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (2,5,3,4,6,1)