— Virginia Men's Tennis (@UVAMensTennis) March 24, 2023
WEYMOUTH, Mass. – The No. 8 Virginia men’s tennis team (16-4, 8-0 ACC) picked up a 6-1 victory at Boston College (6-7, 0-5 ACC) on Friday (March 24) in Weymouth, Mass
Virginia won the doubles point and took five of six singles matches in straight sets.
Grad student Ryan Goetz picked up the 100th singles victory of his collegiate career, topping Mai Gao 6-2, 6-1 on court three.
Goetz and Iñaki Montes clinched the doubles point with a 7-5 victory on the top court after the two teams split results on courts two and three.
After Goetz downed Gao, Montes quickly followed with a 6-2, 6-4 victory on the top court. Alex Kiefer picked up his eighth-straight victory to clinch the match, winning 6-3, 6-4 on court five. Jeffrey von der Schulenburg, playing on court two, won 7-5, 6-3 to make it 5-0. After BC won a super tiebreaker to decide the third set on court six, Måns Dahlberg finished off the match with a 7-5, 7-6 win on court four.
The Cavaliers close out the trip by taking on No. 13 Harvard (10-4, 0-0 Ivy) on Sunday at 1 p.m. in Cambridge, Mass. A Cracked Racquets webcast will be available for the match.
- Virginia has won 34 straight matches in ACC play and 41 straight matches against ACC opponents
- Virginia is 22-0 all-time against the Eagles
Virginia 6, Boston College 1
- Inaki Montes (VA) def. Max Motlagh (BC) 6-2, 6-4
- J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. Juan Jose Bianchi (BC) 7-5, 6-3
- Ryan Goetz (VA) def. Mai Gao (BC) 6-2, 6-1
- Mans Dahlberg (VA) def. Jake Vassel (BC) 7-5, 7-6
- Alexander Kiefer (VA) def. Shreekar Eedara (BC) 6-3, 6-4
- Will Kasten (BC) def. Douglas Yaffa (VA) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0
- Inaki Montes/Ryan Goetz (VA) def. Juan Jose Bianchi/Max Motlagh (BC) 7-5
- Mason Fung/Jake Vassel (BC) def. William Woodall/Douglas Yaffa (VA) 6-3
- Alexander Kiefer/J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. Will Kasten/Anesh Jayasundera (BC) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,1,5,2,6,4)