TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The No. 9 Virginia women’s tennis team (13-4, 6-2 ACC) picked up a 4-3 victory at Florida State (10-7, 3-4 ACC) on Sunday (March 26) at the Speicher Tennis Center in Tallahassee, Fla.
Elaine Chervinsky broke a 3-3 tie by winning her third set on court four to secure the win.
The Cavaliers opened the match by winning the doubles point, sweeping all three doubles courts, but Florida State responded with wins on singles courts two and three to take a 2-1 lead. Sara Ziodato tied the match 2-2 with a 6-4, 6-2 win on court five. Natasha Subhash made it 3-2 with a 6-2, 6-4 victory against Anna Arkadianou on the top court. Alice Amendola won a tiebreaker to take the second set and match on court six to tie the match at 3-3.
Chervinsky dropped a tiebreaker 7-3 in her second set against Olympe Lancelot to send their match-deciding contest to a third set. Chervinsky won the third 6-2 to clinch the victory.
Florida State is No. 35 in this week’s ITA team rankings.
The Cavaliers return home to host Georgia Tech on Friday, March 31, at 4 p.m.
FROM HEAD COACH SARA O’LEARY
“Today was a battle. I was really pleased with the way we competed and carried ourselves in doubles. That made a big difference in the outcome of this match. I’m also really proud of Elaine. She handled the moment like a pro and took it head-on. She’s an unbelievable competitor, and she showed that today. We are looking forward to getting back to Charlottesville, working on some things we learned this weekend and preparing for Georgia Tech and Clemson at home this weekend.”
#9 Virginia 4, #35 Florida State 3
- #98 Natasha Subhash (VA) def. #67 Anna Arkadianou (FSU) 6-2, 6-4
- #108 Vic Allen (FSU) def. #43 Julia Adams (VA) 6-2, 6-1
- Ellie Schoppe (FSU) def. #89 Hibah Shaikh (VA) 6-2, 6-3
- Elaine Chervinsky (VA) def. Olympe Lancelot (FSU) 6-3, 6-7 (3), 6-2
- Sara Ziodato (VA) def. Mila Saric (FSU) 6-4, 6-2
- Alice Amendola (FSU) def. Melodie Collard (VA) 6-1, 7-6 (4)
- #11 Melodie Collard/Julia Adams (VA) def. Anna Arkadianou/Ellie Schoppe (FSU) 6-4
- #9 Natasha Subhash/Elaine Chervinsky (VA) def. Vic Allen/Kianah Motosono (FSU) 6-1
- Sara Ziodato/Hibah Shaikh (VA) def. Olympe Lancelot/Kristyna Lavickova (FSU) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,3,5,1,6,4)