WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The No. 8 Virginia men’s tennis team (18-4, 9-0 ACC) picked up a 4-0 victory against No. 19 Wake Forest (21-9, 5-4 ACC) on Friday (April 7) in Winston-Salem, N.C.
Jeffrey von der Schulenburg clinched the victory of a match that lasted less than two hours. Chris Rodesch picked up a top-five victory in singles, downing No. 5 Melios Efstathiou in straight sets.
“Solid team effort today by the Wahoos,” said head coach Andres Pedroso. “We always expect a great match when we play Wake Forest. Our team is maturing and developing with each day, and we are trying to make each day count for the rest of the season. William Woodall played exceptionally today in doubles, and it is not a coincidence that he’s been one of our hardest workers as of late. Our total focus is on NC State now. They’ve been playing well, and we will be ready for a battle.”
Iñaki Montes and Woodall opened the match with a 6-2 victory on the top doubles court. Chris Rodesch and von der Schulenburg clinched the point with a 6-3 win on court two. Ryan Goetz and Alex Kiefer were up 5-3 on court three when their match was abandoned.
The Cavaliers won five of six first sets in singles.
Goetz was the first to finish, winning 6-1, 6-3 against Luciano Tacchi on court four. Rodesch downed Efstathiou 6-2, 6-3 on the top court two minutes before von der Schulenburg won 6-4, 6-4 against Matthew Thomson on three.
The Cavaliers close the weekend by taking on No. 22 NC State (12-7, 6-2 ACC) on Sunday, April 9 at noon in Raleigh, N.C.
- Virginia has won 35 straight matches in ACC play and 42 straight matches against ACC opponents
#8 Virginia 4, #19 Wake Forest Men’s Tennis 0
- #14 Chris Rodesch (VA) def. #5 Melios Efstathiou (WFU) 6-2, 6-3
- Filippo Moroni (WFU) vs. #23 Inaki Montes (VA) 1-6, 6-1, unfinished
- #39 J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. Matthew Thomson (WFU) 6-4, 6-4
- #104 Ryan Goetz (VA) def. Luciano Tacchi (WFU) 6-1, 6-3
- Bozo Barun (WFU) vs. Mans Dahlberg (VA) 2-6, 3-4, unfinished
- Juan Lopez de Azcona (WFU) vs. Alexander Kiefer (VA) 7-5, 1-1, unfinished
- Inaki Montes/William Woodall (VA) def. #87 Filippo Moroni/Matthew Thomson (WFU) 6-2
- Chris Rodesch/J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. Luciano Tacchi/Bozo Barun (WFU) 6-3
- Melios Efstathiou/Juan Lopez de Azcona (WFU) vs. Ryan Goetz/Alexander Kiefer (VA) 3-5, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (4,1,3)
T: 1:51 A-210