SAN FRANCISCO – Virginia men’s tennis seniors Iñaki Montes and Jeffrey von der Schulenburg competed at the Battle in the Bay Classic tournament, being held Sept. 21-24 at the California Tennis Club in San Francisco, Calif.
Both players advanced to the quarterfinals of the singles draw before being eliminated. They withdrew from the doubles draw after winning their opening match.
The tournament of doubles and singles competitions featuring the top collegiate men’s and women’s tennis players in the country. The winners of the singles championship will also earn a wildcard entry into either the Tiburon ATP Challenger or the Fairfield ATP Challenger.
Players from Georgia, Pepperdine, Arizona, Fresno State, TCU, Stanford, Michigan State, Oklahoma, San Diego, UCSB, USF, California, Southern California, Illinois, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Florida, Virginia Tech and Pacific are competing the the tournament.
- Montes and von der Schulenburg, the No. 2 seed in the doubles draw, won their opening match, topping Nate Bonetto and Aidan Kim of Florida, 8-4.
- Montes, the top seed in the singles draw, defeated Koshis 6-1, 6-3 in his singles opener.
- Von der Schulenburg topped Bonetto 7-6 (3), 6-2 in the first round of singles.
- They dropped out of the doubles draw
- Montes topped Lui Maxted of TCU 6-2, 6-7 (5), 6-4 the Round of 16 before falling 6-7 (3), 6-3, 6-2 to Ronnie Hohmann of LSU in the quarterfinals.
- Von der Schulenburg topped Carl Overbeck of Cal 5-7, 6-1, 6-2 in the Round of 16. He fell 6-0. 7-5 to 5-seed Jack Pinnington of TCU in the quarterfinals.
- Montes dropped a consolation match against Illinois’ Karlis Ozolins 6-3, 6-4
- von der Schulenburg dropped a consolation match against Iiro Vasa of San Diego 2-6, 6-1, 10-4
32 Inaki Montes (Virginia) def. Constantinos Koshis (Arizona State) 6-1, 6-3
16 Inaki Montes (Virginia) def. Lui Maxted (TCU) 6-2, 6-7, 6-4
qf Ronnie Hohmann (Michigan State) def. Inaki Montes (Virginia) 6-7, 6-3, 6-2
c Karlis Ozolins (Illinois) def. Inaki Montes (Virginia) 6-3, 6-4
32 J vd Schulenburg (Virginia) def. Nate Bonetto (Florida) 7-6, 6-2
16 J vd Schulenburg (Virginia) def. Carl Overbeck (California) 5-7, 6-1, 6-2
qf Jack Pinnington (TCU) def. J vd Schulenburg (Virginia) 6-0, 7-5
c Iiro Vasa (San Diego) def. J vd Schulenburg (Virginia) 2-6, 6-1, 10-4
Inaki Montes/J vd Schulenburg (Virginia) def. Nate Bonetto/Aidan Kim (Florida) 8-4