𝗧𝗢𝗣 𝟮𝟬𝟬 𝗪𝗜𝗡!!!
Iñaki Montes takes down the 6-seed, World No. 175 Adam Walton, 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 (4) to move on to the 2nd round at the Jonathan Fried Charlottesville Pro Challenger #GoHoos ⚔️ pic.twitter.com/8qdo6waqdG
— Virginia Men's Tennis (@UVAMensTennis) October 31, 2023
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Members of the Virginia men’s tennis team will be competing at the 75K Jonathan Fried Pro Challenger being held at the indoor courts of the Boar’s Head Sports Club Oct. 29- Nov. 5.
Iñaki Montes advanced out of qualifying into the main draw where he topped 6-seed, No. 174 Adam Walton to advance to the Round of 16. James Hopper and Dylan Dietrich, wildcards in the doubles main draw, made the quarterfinals before being eliminated.
Douglas Yaffa, Hopper and Dietrich also competed in singles qualifying with Dietrich advancing to the qualifying final.
Chris Rodesch played in the singles main draw.
Virginia alums Alexander Ritschard and Thai-Son Kwiatkowski competied in the main draw in singles and doubles.
Admission is free for matches through Thursday.
This is the 14th year of the event that benefits Special Olympics.
Thursday, Nov. 2
- Alexander Ritschard defeated top-seeded Michael Mmoh 6-3, 7-6 (5)m but dropped his doubles match
- Iñaki Montes fell 6-4, 7-6 (8) against No. 245 Beibit Zhukayev in the Round of 16
- Thai-Son Kwiatkowski and Denis Kudla won 6-2, 6-2 against Evgeny Karloskiy and Nino Serdarusic to advance to the semifinals
- Dylan Dietrich and James Hopper fell 6-3, 6-3 against top-seeded Smith & Verbeek in the doubles quarterfinals
Main Draw First Round
- Iñaki Montes topped 6-seed, No. 174 Adam Walton 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 (4) to advance to the Round of 16 of the main draw
- Alexander Ritschard topped No. 328 Aidan McHugh 6-4, 6-4 to advance to the Round of 16
- Chris Rodesch fell 7-6 (5), 6-1 against 7-seed No. 180 Denis Kudla
- Dylan Dietrich and James Hopper advanced to the quarterfinals when Sebastian Fanselow and Lucas Gerch retired with an injury
- Thai-Son Kwiatkowski was edged 4-6, 7-6 (3), 7-6 (3) by No. 245 Beibit Zhukayev of Kazakhstan
- Kwiatkowski and Kudla won 6-3, 7-6 (4) against Harrison and Libietis to advance to the doubles quarterfinals
Monday, Oct. 30 – Qualifying Finals
- Iñaki Montes downed No. 386 Christian Langmo 7-5, 6-2 to advance through qualifying into the main draw
- Dylan Dietrich fell 7-6 (1), 6-3 against No. 461 Ethan Quinn, the 2023 NCAA Singles Champion
- Thai-Son Kwiatkowski will play his main draw first round match against No. 245 Beibit Zhukayev of Kazakhstan at approximately 5 p.m. on the Brenda Myers court
Sunday, Oct. 29
- Dylan Dietrich topped No. 501 Alexander Cozbinov of Moldova 6-4, 6-7 (4), 6-3 to advance to the qualifying final
- No. 519 Iñaki Montes topped American Alex Rybakov 6-2, 6-3. Rybakov is ranked No. 610
- James Hopper fell 6-0, 6-3 against Ethan Quinn
- Douglas Yaffa fell 6-2, 6-2 top seed of the qualifying draw No. 369 Aidan Mayo
- Alexander Kiefer withdrew due to injury