Tommy Courtney Pronunciation
SUMMER 2022: Appeared in one game for the Harwich Mariners of the Cape Cod League … played alongside his future UVA teammates Jake Gelof and Kyle Teel.
PRIOR TO VIRGINIA (PENN)
• Started every game for Penn from 2019-22, a total of 108 games.
• Limited to 22 total collegiate games in 2020 and 2021 due to CoVID19-pandemic and subsequent Ivy League restrictions in 2021.
• A career .298 hitter in four seasons for the Quakers, totaled 19 doubles, three triples, six homers and 58 RBI.
• Served as Penn’s primary leadoff hitter and everyday center fielder in 2022, starting all 45 of his appearances.
• Ended 2022 season hitting safely in 36-straight games.
• His 197 at bats in 2022 were the second most in a single season in program history.
• Helped Penn win a share of the 2022 Ivy League Regular Season Championship and a program record, 17 Ivy League wins.
• Ended the 2021 season hitting safely in 11-straight games and recorded at least one hit in 13 of the team’s 14 games, including six multi-hit efforts.
• In 14-game 2021 season (due to Ivy League restrictions related to the Covid-19 pandemic), was second on the team with .323 batting average, led the team in runs scored (13), stolen bases (6) and hits (20).
• As a true freshman in 2019, was one of five Penn players to start all 41 games.
• Drove in the game-winning RBI single in Penn’s 7-6 win over Duke (March 5, 2019) and the third run the next day in Penn’s 3-1 victory clinching a two-game midweek sweep over the then-No. 22 Blue Devils (March 6, 2019).
• Named Ivy League Rookie of the Week after going 5-for-8 with two doubles, a triple, three RBI, and two runs scored in Penn’s series against Columbia (May 4, 2019).
DON BOSCO PREP
• Lettered four years in baseball.
• Helped team to Bergen County baseball championship (2015).
• First-team all-league (2017-18).
• First-team all-county (2018) … Second-team all-county (2017).
• Lettered three years in football and was team captain.
• Helped football team to state championship (2015).
• Gold Medal recipient in History and Literature.
• Ironman Award recipient.
• Son of Andrea and Tom Courtney.
• Has two younger brothers, Mike and Matt. Mike is a defensive back at Fordham and Matt also plays DB for SUNY Cortland.
• His father Tom played football at SUNY Albany.
•Pursuing a Masters in Educational Psychology