Virginia Men's Tennis Downs #22 Tennessee 6-1
Feb. 5, 2005
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The No. 10 ranked Virginia men’s tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season with a 6-1 win over No. 22 Tennessee Saturday afternoon at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. It was the third win of the year for the Cavaliers over a ranked opponent.
Virginia opened the match by taking the doubles point. The team of first-years Somdev Devvarman (Chennai, India) and Treat Huey (Alexandria, Va.) cruised to an 8-2 win at No. 2 doubles. That win was followed by a win at No. 3 doubles by third-years Doug Stewart (Malibu, Calif.) and Darrin Cohen (Lafayette, Calif.) to clinch the point.
In singles, the Cavaliers won the first five matches off the court to build a 6-0 lead before Tennessee captured the final match on the courts. Huey made the score 2-0 in favor of the Cavaliers with a straight set win at No. 4 singles. Stewart added a straight set win at No. 1 singles to make the lead 3-0. Rylan Rizza (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) clinched the match with his straight set win at No. 2 singles. Devvarman, playing in his dual match debut, won in straight sets at No. 3 singles. Cohen added the final point of the day for Virginia with his win at No. 6 singles.
The Cavaliers will return to action on Friday, February 11 as they host No. 36 Alabama at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. Time of the match is 6:00 p.m. Admission to all Virginia tennis matches is free.
No. 10 Virginia 6, No. 22 Tennessee 1
1. #16 Rogers/Oosthuizen (UT) def. #19 Rizza/Meythaler (UVa) 8-4
2. Devvarman/Huey (UVa) def. Wilson/Cameron (UT) 8-2
3. Cohen/Stewart (UVa) def. Dietrich/Tcherveniachki (UT) 8-6
1. #19 Doug Stewart (UVa) def. Mark Dietrich (UT) 6-4, 6-4
2. #36 Rylan Rizza (UVa) def. Ockie Oosthuizen (UT) 6-4, 6-3
3. #22 Somdev Devvarman (UVa) def. Morgan Wilson (UT) 6-3, 7-5
4. Bobby Cameron (UT) def. #63 Marko Miklo (UVa) 6-3, 6-7, 10-5
5. #104 Treat Huey (UVa) def. Kiril Tchervienachki (UT) 6-1, 6-4
6. Darrin Cohen (UVa) def. David Baxendine (UT) 7-5, 7-6