Cavalier Men's Tennis Blanks NC State 7-0
March 25, 2005
RALEIGH, NC – The third ranked Virginia men’s tennis team remained undefeated in the ACC with a 7-0 win over No. 37 NC State Friday afternoon at the J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center in Raleigh. The win improves the Cavaliers’ record to 15-2 on the season (3-0 ACC) while the Wolfpack fall to 15-6 (2-4 ACC).
The Cavaliers opened the match by sweeping the doubles matches for a 1-0 lead. Somdev Devvarman (Chennai, India) and Treat Huey (Alexandria, Va.) got the Cavaliers started with an 8-4 win over Val Banada and Andre Iriarte at No. 2 doubles. Darrin Cohen (Lafayette, Calif.) and Doug Stewart (Malibu, Calif.) then clinched the doubles point with an 8-6 win over William Noblitt and Mason Schermerhorn at No. 3 doubles. The No. 41 ranked team of Rylan Rizza (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) and Nick Meythaler (Owensboro, Ky.) completed the doubles sweep with an 8-6 win over Nick Cavaday and Will Shaw at No. 1 doubles.
In singles, the Cavaliers swept all six matches, five in straight sets. Marko Miklo (Bratislava, Slovakia) made the score 2-0 when he downed Noblitt 6-1, 6-1 at No. 5 singles. Huey extended the advantage to 3-0 when he completed a 6-2, 7-5 win over Iriarte at No. 4 singles. Devvarman clinched the dual match with his 6-3, 6-3 win over Shaw at No. 3 singles. Minutes later, Rizza posted a 6-2, 6-4 win over Conor Taylor at No. 2 singles. Cohen made the score 6-0 when he defeated Schermerhorn 7-5, 6-4 at No. 6 singles. Stewart completed the shutout when he topped Cavaday in three sets at No. 1 singles.
“We were pleased with the overall effort today,” said Virginia assistant coach Tony Bresky. “NC State is a good team and they pushed us in some matches. It is always good to get an ACC win and hopefully we can continue our momentum Sunday at Wake Forest.
The Cavaliers will return to action on Sunday, March 27 as they visit Wake Forest.
No. 3 Virginia 7, No. 37 NC State 0
1. #29 Rizza/Meythaler (UVa) def. Cavaday/Shaw (NCSU) 8-6
2. Devvarman/Huey (UVa) def. Banada/Iriarte (NCSU) 8-4
3. Cohen/Stewart (UVa) def. Noblitt/Schermerhorn (NCSU) 8-6
1. #8 Doug Stewart (UVa) def. Nick Cavaday (NCSU) 0-6, 7-5, 6-2
2. #56 Rylan Rizza (UVa) def. Conor Taylor (NCSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. #15 Somdev Devvarman (UVa) def. Will Shaw (NCSU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Treat Huey (UVa) def. Andre Iriarte (NCSU) 6-2, 7-5
5. Marko Miklo (UVa) def. William Noblitt (NCSU) 6-1, 6-1
6. #48 Darrin Cohen (UVa) def. Mason Schermerhorn (NCSU) 7-5, 6-4