Cavalier Women's Tennis Tops Virginia Tech for First ACC Win
March 29, 2005
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The No. 69 ranked Virginia women’s tennis team captured its first ACC win of the season, downing Virginia Tech 5-2 Tuesday at the Snyder Tennis Center. The win improves the Cavaliers’ record to 5-8 (1-2 ACC) on the season, while the Hokies fall to 6-11 (0-8).
The Hokies jumped out to the early lead in the match by taking the doubles point. Caroline Hammond (Williamsburg, Va.) and Lindsey Pereira (Arlington, Texas) won at No. 3 doubles for Virginia, but Virginia Tech won at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles to take the point.
The Cavaliers responded in singles, capturing two wins quickly to take a 2-1 lead. Rachel DelPriore (Williamsville, N.Y.) cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 win over Bethan James at No. 4 singles and Dora Bechliwanis (Etobicoke, Ont.) defeated Julia Facchina 6-1, 6-1 at No. 6 singles. The Hokies tied the match at 2-2 when Ashley James defeated Lori Stern at No. 3 singles. The final three matches all went three sets and the Cavaliers won them all to bring the final score to 5-2. Marta Bechliwanis (Etobicoke, Ont.) defeated Kate Harrington at No. 5 singles before Douglas Wink (Greensboro, N.C.) clinched the match with her win over Jessica Long at No. 2 singles. Kristen James (Clifton, Va.) completed the match with her win over Anat Elazari at No. 1.
The Cavaliers continue their homestand on Saturday, April 2 as they host Georgia Tech at the Snyder Tennis Center. Match time is 10:00 a.m.
No. 69 Virginia 5, Virginia Tech 2
1. Elazari/Long (VT) def. DelPriore/Wink (UVa) 8-4
2. Harrington/A.James (VT) def. Stern/James (UVa) 9-8 (7)
3. Pereira/Hammond (UVa) def. Holmes/B.James (VT) 8-2
1. Kristen James (UVa) def. Anat Elazari (VT) 6-1, 4-6, 7-6
2. Douglas Wink (UVa) def. Jessica Long (VT) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Ashley James (VT) def. Lori Stern (UVa) 6-4, 7-6
4. Rachel DelPriore (UVa) def. Bethan James (VT) 6-0, 6-1
5. Marta Bechliwanis (UVa) def. Kate Harrington (VT) 6-7, 6-1, 6-2
6. Dora Bechliwanis (UVa) def. Julia Facchina (VT) 6-1, 6-1