Virginia Women's Tennis Falls to Georgia Tech
April 2, 2005
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The No. 69 ranked Virginia women’s tennis team suffered a 4-1 loss to No. 6 Georgia Tech Saturday afternoon at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The loss drops the Cavaliers’ record to 5-9 on the season (1-3 ACC), while the Yellow Jackets improve to 12-2 (5-0 ACC).
The Yellow Jackets took an early lead by taking the doubles point. The Cavalier duo of Douglas Wink (Greensboro, N.C.) and Rachel DelPriore (Williamsville, N.Y.) defeated Kelly Anderson and Lyndsay Shosho at No. 1 doubles. Georgia Tech then got wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to take the point.
The Cavaliers tied the match early in singles when Wink downed Anderson 6-2, 6-2 at No. 2 singles. However, the Yellow Jackets took the next three matches off the courts to clinch the match. Due to court availability, the remaining three matches were suspended.
The Cavaliers conclude their homestand on Sunday, April 3 as they host Clemson at the Snyder Tennis Center. Match time is noon.
No. 6 Georgia Tech 4, No. 69 Virginia 1
1. DelPriore/Wink (UVa) def. Shosho/Anderson (GT) 8-3
2. Miller/Potapova (GT) def. D.Bechliwanis/James (UVa) 8-1
3. McCray/Silverio (GT) def. Pereira/Hammond (UVa) 8-3
1. #15 Kristi Miller (GT) def. Kristen James (UVa) 6-3, 6-3
2. Douglas Wink (UVa) def. Kelly Anderson (GT) 6-2, 6-2
3. Alison Silverio (GT) def. Rachel DelPriore (UVa) 6-2, 6-1
4. Lyndsay Shosho (GT) def. Dora Bechliwanis (UVa) 6-1, 6-0
5. Whitney McCray (GT) led Marta Bechliwanis (UVa) 7-5, 2-1 DNF
6. Lindsey Pereira (UVa) led Kacie Anson (GT) 5-4 DNF