Cavalier Women's Tennis Falls at Duke
April 9, 2005
DURHAM, N.C. – The Virginia women’s tennis team suffered a 6-1 their third consecutive conference loss Saturday afternoon, falling 7-0 to No. 12 Duke at the Ambler Tennis Stadium. The loss drops the Cavaliers’ record to 5-11 on the season (1-5 ACC), while the Blue Devils improve to 13-6 (4-2 ACC).
The Blue Devils took an early lead by sweeping all three doubles matches for a 1-0 lead. In singles, Duke won all six matches, five of them in straight sets. In the only match that was not decided in straight sets, Duke’s Lauren Archer defeated Lindsey Pereira (Arlington, Texas) in a third set superbreaker.
The Cavaliers return to action on Sunday, April 9, as they visit North Carolina. The match will begin at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center at 1:30 p.m. The match is part of a doubleheader as the Cavalier men will play at North Carolina beginning at noon.
No. 12 Duke 7, Virginia 0
1. Cargill/Carleton (Duke) def. DelPriore/Wink (UVa) 8-4
2. Arasu/Zawacki (Duke) def. D.Bechliwanis/James (UVa) 8-6
3. Deltour/Archer (Duke) def. Pereira/Hammond (UVa) 8-1
1. #39 Katie Blaszak (Duke) def. Kristen James (UVa) 6-1, 6-3
2. Jackie Carleton (Duke) def. Douglas Wink (UVa) 6-0, 6-1
3. Saras Arasu (Duke) def. Rachel DelPriore (UVa) 6-2, 6-2
4. Clelia Deltour (Duke) def. Marta Bechliwanis (UVa) 6-0, 6-3
5. Kristen Cargill (Duke) def. Dora Bechliwanis (UVa) 6-1, 6-1
6. Lauren Archer (Duke) def. Lindsey Pereira (UVa) 7-6, 4-6, 10-4