Virginia Men's Tennis Defeats Alabama
Feb. 4, 2007
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The No. 5 Virginia men’s tennis team remained undefeated on the season as it topped No. 33 Alabama 4-3 at the Hank Crisp Indoor Tennis Facility. The Cavaliers improve to 5-0 on the season, with four of the wins coming against teams ranked in the top 35 of the ITA rankings.
Virginia opened the match by losing the doubles point for the first time all season. The team of Houston Barrick (Brentwood, Tenn.) and Dominic Inglot (London, England) cruised to an 8-2 win over Joseph Jung and Saketh Myneni at the No. 2 position. However, the Crimson Tide held off the Cavaliers to win at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles to take the opening point.
Virginia responded well to facing a deficit for the first time this season, by coming out strong in singles. The Cavaliers won the first four matches off the court to take a 4-1 lead. No. 8 Somdev Devvarman (Chennai, India) downed No. 43 Jung 6-1, 6-1 at No. 1 singles to draw Virginia even. Treat Huey (Alexandria, Va.) gave the Cavaliers the lead with his 6-3, 6-2 win over Sammy Struyf at No. 2 singles. Inglot downed Matthieu Thibaudeau 6-3, 6-4 at No. 3 singles to make the score 3-1. Ted Angelinos (Athens, Greece) clinched the win for Virginia with his 7-6, 6-0 win over Javier Bes at No. 4 singles. The Crimson Tide won the final two singles matches to cut the final score to 4-3.
Virginia returns home on Saturday, February 10 as it hosts Michigan. Match time at the Boyd Tinsley Courts is set for 6 p.m.
No. 5 Virginia 4, No. 33 Alabama 3
1. Buikema/Thibaudeau (Ala) def. # 7 Devvarman/Huey (UVa) 9-8
2. Barrick/Inglot (UVa) def. Jung/Myneni (Ala.), 8-3
3. Mertz/Bes (Ala) def. Angelinos/Singer (UVa) 8-6
1. #8 Somdev Devvarman (UVa) def. #43 Joseph Jung (Ala) 6-1, 6-1
2. #10 Treat Huey (UVa) def. Sammy Struyf (Ala) 6-3, 6-2
3. Dominic Inglot (UVa) def. Matthieu Thibaudeau (Ala) 6-3, 6-4
4. Ted Angelinos (UVa) def. Javier Bes (Ala) 7-6, 6-0
5. Billy Mertz (Ala) def. Marko Miklo (UVa) 6-4, 6-2
6. Dan Buikema (Ala) def. Lee Singer (UVa) 2-6, 6-3, 4-4 (7)