Cavalier Women's Tennis Defeats Harvard 4-3
Feb. 24, 2007
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Virginia women’s tennis team improved to 5-2 on the season with a 4-3 win over No. 54 Harvard Saturday afternoon. After dropping the doubles point, the Cavaliers rallied to win four singles matches to take the dual match.
In doubles, the team of Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.) and Amanda Rales (Bethesda, Md.) cruised to an 8-0 win at the No. 3 position over Julia Forgie and Vilsa Curto. However, the Crimson took the matches at No. 1 and No. 2, both 9-7, to take the opening point.
In singles, the Cavaliers quickly won the first three matches off the court to take a 3-1 lead. Rales defeated Curto 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 6 spot. At No. 4 singles, Lindsey Pereira (Arlington, Texas) topped Elizabeth Brook 6-0, 6-1. Caroline Hammond (Williamsburg, Va.) recorded a 6-1, 6-2 wn over Forgie at No. 5 singles. After Harvard won at No. 1 singles to cut the UVa lead to 3-2, Maggie Yahner (Las Vegas, Nev.) clinched the dual match with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Preethi Mukundan at the No. 3 position.
The Cavaliers conclude their season-opening eight match road trip on Sunday as they visit Brown.
#28 Virginia 4, No. 54 Harvard 3
1. Ko/Litvak (H) def. Hammond/Alexander (UVa) 9-7
2. Mukundan/Brook (H) def. Yahner/Larson (UVa) 9-7
3. Stevens/Rales (UVa) def. Forgie/Curto (H) 8-0
1. Lena Litvak (H) def. Brintney Larson (UVa) 6-4, 6-1
2. #56 Beier Ko (H) def. Jennifer Stevens (UVa) 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (3)
3. Maggie Yahner (UVa) def. Preethi Mukundan (H) 6-4, 6-2
4. Lindsey Pereira (UVa) def. Elizabeth Brook (H) 6-0, 6-1
5. Caroline Hammond (UVa) def. Julia Forgie (H) 6-1, 6-2
6. Amanda Rales (UVa) def. Vilsa Curto (H) 6-1, 6-1