Cavalier Women's Tennis Downs Harvard 5-2
CHARLOTTESVILLE The Virginia women’s tennis team opened a four-match homestand Saturday afternoon with a 5-2 victory over Harvard at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The victory was the second consecutive win for the Cavaliers, who improve to 3-3 on the season.
The Cavaliers took the early lead by winning the doubles point. Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.) and Hampton Williams (Raleigh, N.C.) cruised to an 8-0 win at No. 3 doubles over Catriona Stewart and Vilsa Curto. Maggie Yahner (Las Vegas, Nev.) and Lindsey Pereira (Arlington, Texas) clinched the opening point for the Cavaliers with their 9-8 win over Beier Ko and Samantha Rosekrans at No. 2 doubles. The Harvard team of Laura Peterzan and Stephanie Schnitter won at No. 1 doubles, topping Amanda Rales (Bethesda, Md.) and Lara Alexander (London, England) 8-6.
In singles, the Cavaliers extended their lead to 2-0 as Alexander topped Curto 6-0, 6-2 at No. 5 singles. Harvard rallied to tie the score, 2-2, as Rosekrans defeated Williams at No. 6 and Ko topped Rales at the No. 1 position. Pereira’s 6-1, 6-0 win over Stewart at No. 4 singles gave Virginia the lead, 3-2, and Stevens clinched the match with her 6-2, 6-4 win over Peterzan at No. 2 singles. Yahner completed the match with a superbreaker victory over Schnitter at No. 3 singles.
The Cavaliers continue their homestand on Sunday as they host Brown. Match time is noon and admission is free.
No. 53 Virginia 5, Harvard 2
1. Peterzan/Schnitter (H) def. Rales/Alexander (UVa) 8-6
2. Yahner/Pereira (UVa) def. Ko/Rosekrans (H) 9-8 (2)
3. Stevens/Williams (UVa) def. Stewart/Curto (H) 8-0
1. Beier Ko (H) def. Amanda Rales (UVa) 6-0, 6-3
2. Jennifer Stevens (UVa) def. Laura Peterzan (H) 6-2, 6-4
3. Maggie Yahner (UVa) def. Stephanie Schnitter (H) 7-5, 4-6, 10-7
4. Lindsey Pereira (UVa) def. Catriona Stewart (H) 6-1, 6-0
5. Lara Alexander (UVa) def. Vilsa Curto (H) 6-0, 6-2
6. Samantha Rosekrans (H) def. Hampton Williams (UVa) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles: 3,2,1 Singles: 5,6,1,4,2,3
Records: Virginia (3-3), Harvard (0-4)