Cavalier Women's Tennis Defeats Brown 5-2
CHARLOTTESVILLE The Virginia women’s tennis team won its third consecutive match, topping Brown 5-2 Sunday afternoon at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers improve to 4-3 on the season with the victory.
The Cavaliers took the early lead by sweeping the three doubles matches. Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.) and Hampton Williams (Raleigh, N.C.) cruised to an 8-1 win at No. 3 doubles over Itaska Kurihara and Emily Ellis. Maggie Yahner (Las Vegas, Nev.) and Lindsey Pereira (Arlington, Texas) clinched the opening point for the Cavaliers with their 8-3 win over Kelley Kirkpatrick and Sara Mansur at No. 2 doubles. Amanda Rales (Bethesda, Md.) and Lara Alexander (London, England) completed the sweep with their 8-4 win at No. 1 doubles over Bianca Abousbakare and Marisa Schonfeld.
In singles, the Cavaliers clinched the dual match with three straight set wins. At No. 2, Stevens defeated Mansur 6-2, 6-0 to make the score 2-0. Pereira extended the lead to 3-0 with her 6-0, 6-2 win over Schonfeld at No. 4 singles. Alexander clinched the match for Virginia with her 6-1, 6-3 win over Tanja Vucetic at No. 5 singles. The Cavaliers also got a win at No. 6 singles from Williams, who topped Ellis 6-7, 6-3, 10-5.
The Cavaliers continue their four-match homestand on Friday as they host Old Dominion. Match time is 1 p.m. and admission is free.
No. 53 Virginia 5, Brown 2
1. Rales/Alexander (UVa) def. Abousbakare/Schonfeld (B) 8-4
2. Yahner/Pereira (UVa) def. Kirkpatrick/Mansur (B) 8-3
3. Stevens/Williams (UVa) def. Kurihara/Ellis (B) 8-1
1. Bianca Abousbakare (B) def. Amanda Rales (UVa) 7-5, 7-6
2. Jennifer Stevens (UVa) def. Sara Mansur (B) 6-2, 6-0
3. Brett Finkelstein (B) def. Maggie Yahner (UVa) 6-4, 6-3
4. Lindsey Pereira (UVa) def. Marisa Schonfeld (B) 6-0, 6-2
5. Lara Alexander (UVa) def. Tanja Vucetic (B) 6-1, 6-3
6. Hampton Williams (UVa) def. Emily Ellis (B) 6-7, 6-3, 10-5
Order of finish: Doubles: 3,2,1 Singles: 2,4,5,3,6,1
Records: Virginia (4-3), Brown (1-4)