Cavalier Women's Tennis Falls to No. 12 Miami
CHARLOTTESVILLE The Virginia women’s tennis team played its first outdoor home match of the season at the Snyder Tennis Center on Saturday, falling to No.12 Miami 6-1. The loss drops the Cavaliers’ record to 6-8 on the season and 2-2 in the ACC.
Virginia opened the match strong by taking the doubles point for a 1-0 lead. At No. 3 doubles, the Virginia team of Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.) and Hampton Williams (Raleigh, N.C.) scored an 8-5 win over Michaela Kissell and Jenna Osborne. Lindsey Pereira (Arlington, Texas) and Maggie Yahner (Las Vegas, Nev.) clinched the opening point for the Cavaliers with their 8-4 win over Caren Seenauth and Bianca Eichkorn at the No. 2 position.
In singles, the Hurricanes rallied to win the match by winning all six matches. In four matches, Miami won in straight sets to secure the dual match victory before winning the final two in third set superbreakers.
The Cavaliers return to action on Sunday as they host No. 15 Florida State. Match time at the Snyder Tennis Center is 10:30 a.m.
No. 12 Miami 6, No. 50 Virginia 1
1. #19 Farah/Vallverdu (UM) def. Rales/Alexander (UVa) 8-6
2. Yahner/Pereira (UVa) 8-5 def. Seenauth/Eichkorn (UM) 8-4
3. Stevens/Williams (UVa) def. Kissell/Osborne (UM) 8-5
1. #21 Laura Vallverdu (UM) def. Amanda Rales (UVa) 6-2, 6-2
2. #73 Romy Farah (UM) def. Jennifer Stevens (UVa) 2-6, 6-3, 10-6
3. #49 Michaela Kissell (UM def. Maggie Yahner (UVa) 6-1, 6-3
4. #104 Bianca Eichkorn (UM) def. Lindsey Pereira (UVa) 6-1, 2-6, 10-7
5. Caren Seenauth (UM) def. Lara Alexander (UVa) 6-3, 6-3
6. Claudia Wasilewski (UM) def. Hampton Williams (UVa) 6-1, 6-0