Cavalier Women's Tennis Falls at No. 2 Georgia Tech
ATLANTA, Ga. The Virginia women’s tennis team had its three-match winning streak snapped with a 7-0 loss to No. 2 Georgia Tech Saturday afternoon at the Bill Moore Tennis Center. With the loss, the Cavaliers fall to 9-9 overall and 5-3 in the ACC.
The Yellow Jackets, the reigning NCAA Champions and 2008 ITA National Team Indoor Champions, took an early 1-0 lead by sweeping the three doubles matches. Georgia Tech carried that momentum into singles, where they had a ranked player at every spot in the lineup. In all six matches, the Yellow Jackets won in straight sets to complete the 7-0 victory.
The Cavaliers return to action on Sunday as they visit Clemson. Match time is noon.
No. 2 Georgia Tech 7, No. 40 Virginia 0
1. Miller/Krupina (GT) def. Rales/Stevens (UVa) 8-5
2. McCray/Hickey (GT) def. Pereira/Alexander (UVa) 8-3
3. McDowell/Flower (GT) def. Williams/Nimitz (UVa) 8-2
1. #6 Kristi Miller (GT) def. Amanda Rales (UVa) 6-1, 6-4
2. #4 Amanda McDowell (GT) def. Jennifer Stevens (UVa) 6-2, 7-6
3. #36 Whitney McCray (GT) def. Lindsey Pereira (UVa) 6-3, 6-1
4. #76 Christy Striplin (GT) def. Lara Alexander (UVa) 6-2, 7-5
5. #39 Kirsten Flower (GT) def. Hampton Williams (UVa) 6-1, 6-1
6. #33 Maya Johansson (GT) def. Cathy Nimitz (UVa) 6-1, 6-2