Virginia Downs Virginia Tech 4-2 in ACC First Round
ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. The Virginia women’s tennis team opened play at the 2008 ACC Tournament with a 4-2 first round victory over Virginia Tech Thursday afternoon at Sanlando Park. The Cavaliers (10-12) advance to the quarterfinals where they will play No. 2 seed Duke on Friday.
The Cavaliers opened the match strong by taking the doubles point. Amanda Rales (Bethesda, Md.) and Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.) cruised to an 8-2 victory over Inga Beermann and Holly Johnson at the No. 2 position. Lindsey Pereira (Arlington, Texas) and Maggie Yahner (Las Vegas, Nev.) clinched the opening point with an 8-5 victory over J.J. Larson and Jessica Brouwer at No. 1 doubles. Lara Alexander (London, England) and Hampton Williams (Raleigh, N.C.) led Yasmin Hamza and Jessica Long 7-6 at No. 3 doubles when the match was abandoned.
In singles, the Cavaliers extended their lead with a pair of straight set wins. Yahner made the score 2-0 as she topped Larson 6-1, 6-3 at No. 4 singles. Stevens extended the lead to 3-0 as she completed a 6-2, 6-3 win over Hamza at the No. 2 position. The Hokies rallied to cut the advantage to 3-2 as Brouwer topped Alexander at No. 5 singles and Johnson defeated Cathy Nimitz (Glen Allen, Va.) at No. 6 singles. At the No. 3 position, Pereira clinched the win for Virginia as she defeated Long 7-5, 6-3. In the match that was abandoned, Rales led Beermann in the third set at No. 1 singles.
With the win, the Cavaliers advance to the quarterfinals of the ACC Tournament for the third consecutive year.
The Virginia-Duke quarterfinal match is slated for noon on Friday.
No. 53 Virginia 4, No. 58 Virginia Tech 2
1. #37 Pereira/Yahner (UVa) def. Brouwer/Larson (VT) 8-5
2. Rales/Stevens (UVa) def. Beermann/Johnson (VT) 8-2
3. Alexander/Williams (UVa) led Hamza/Long (VT) 7-6 DNF
1. Amanda Rales (UVa) led Inga Beermann (VT) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 DNF
2. #119 Jennifer Stevens (UVa) def. Yasmin Hamza (VT) 6-2, 6-3
3. Lindsey Pereira (UVa) def. Jessica Long (VT) 7-5, 6-3
4. Maggie Yahner (UVa) def. J.J. Larson (VT) 6-1, 6-3
5. Jessica Brouwer (VT) def. Lara Alexander (UVa) 6-4, 6-3
6. Holly Johnson (VT) def. Cathy Nimitz (UVa) 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: Doubles- 2,1 Singles- 4,2,5,6,3