Diamond Details: Alex Skinkis
Members of the Virginia softball team – both student-athletes and coaches – will be revealing 20 random facts about themselves to VirginiaSports.com each weekday leading up to the team’s season-opener on Saturday, Feb. 13th at the Elon Tournament in Elon, N.C. Up next is freshman infielder Alex Skinkis, who hails from La Plama, Calif.
1. When I was little I played the violin and was part of an orchestra.
2. I love to longboard/skateboard, especially the boardwalk at the beach.
3. Until I went to college, I never moved. I’ve lived in the same house all my life.
4. When I was little I wanted to be a paleontologist.
5. I am afraid of spiders.
6. I love to watch old movies on the Turner Classic Movie channel.
7. I took a peanut butter and jelly sandwich everyday possible for lunch from preschool through high school.
8. Geese attacked me while I was feeding ducks at a pond when I was three and my mom had to pick me up and run with me.
9. I was in Indian Princesses when I was little, which is the YMCA version of Girl Scouts, where fathers and daughters go camping once a month.
10. I learned to dirtbike when I was seven in my friend’s backyard and ran straight into a fence because I was trying to shift gears to go faster.
11. I like to boogey-board and skim board at the beach.
12. People enjoy trying to come up with new versions of my last name: Skink, Skinkosaurus, and Skinis are just a few.
13. The 4th of July is my favorite holiday because I love to buy fireworks.
14. When I was little, my two favorite movies were Sleeping Beauty and Aladdin.
15. I used to have a pool table in my basement and played frequently.
16. All the kids on my block had marshmallow guns when I was little and we used to have marshmallow wars.
17. I enjoy listening to the Beach Boys, but I like all kinds of music.
18. In sixth grade, my science class raised silk worms and then ate them for extra credit.
19. I can double-dutch jump rope.
20. My favorite color is emerald green.