Women's Tennis Falls to Ohio State 5-2
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The No. 23 Virginia women’s tennis team suffered its first home loss of the season, falling to No. 33 Ohio State 5-2 Sunday afternoon at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers fall to 3-2 on the season with the loss, while the Buckeyes improve to 8-1.
The Buckeyes took the early 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point. The Virginia duo of Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) and Erin Vierra (Norwell, Mass.) won at No. 1 doubles, but Ohio State recorded wins at No. 2 and No. 3 to take the opening point.
Ohio State carried its momentum into singles, winning the first set in all six matches. In three of those matches, the Buckeyes closed out straight set wins to clinch the dual match. At No. 2 singles, Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) defeated Paloma Escobedo in a match tiebreaker for the Cavaliers’ first point. Seconds later, Vierra completed her 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 win over Christina Keesey at No. 3 singles. In the final match on the courts, Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton, Fla.) was edged in a third-set match tiebreaker at No. 4 singles.
“While Ohio St was the better team today and certainly worked hard to earn a tough victory, our team showed a lot of toughness and perspective in fighting back after a rough start,” said head coach Mark Guilbeau. “We know that this kind of effort and desire will ultimately grow and will lead to the ability to far surpass today’s level. We have several great opportunities ahead. Our efforts will shift back to the practice courts for the next two weeks – working together so that we can capitalize individually and as a team as the dual match season continues.”
The Cavaliers will be off for two-and-a-half weeks before hosting William & Mary on Feb. 24.
No. 33 Ohio State 5, No. 23 Virginia 2
1. Hardenbergh/Vierra (UVa) def. Haviland/Hubbs (OSU) 8-6
2. Escobedo/Keesey (OSU) def. Tomljanovic/Fraser (UVa) 8-1
3. Manashirova/Steele (OSU) def. Fuccillo/Vaez (UVa) 8-3
1. #53 Kirsten Flower (OSU) def. #72 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) 7-6, 6-4
2. Emily Fraser (UVa) def. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) 4-6, 7-6, 10-7
3. Erin Vierra (UVa) def. Christina Keesey (OSU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) def. Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) 7-5, 6-7, 10-8
5. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Neela Vaez (UVa) 6-3, 6-2
6. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Maria Fuccillo (UVa) 6-3, 7-6
Order of Finish: