Diamond Details: Abby Snyder
Members of the Virginia softball team – both student-athletes and coaches – will be revealing 20 random facts about themselves to VirginiaSports.com each weekday leading up to the team’s season-opener this Saturday at the Elon Tournament in Elon, N.C. Up next is senior infielder Abby Snyder, who hails from Cantonment, Fla.
1. I hunt.
2. I love Reba McEntire.
3. I drive a truck.
3. I love wearing cowboy boots.
4. I love Jesus.
5. I’m from the Sunshine State.
6. I’m a proud aunt of my 2 year-old nephew, Will, and three month-old niece, Edy.
7. I now own a snow shovel. And I am from Florida. Ironic. Thanks Mom.
8. I fish.
9. On the way to my first class at UVa, I lost control of my bike and ended up late to class with a bloody ankle. Just a tad bit embarrassing for a nervous first-year at UVa.
10. I like to play the guitar.
11. When I was little, I broke the light in the living room while I was brushing up on my fishing skills.
12. I took ballroom dancing lessons in ninth grade.
13. Corn fritters are one of my all-time favorite foods.
14. I love cheese puffs, but not just any cheese puffs; the “Cheetos” brand doesn’t cut it. You haven’t had cheese puffs until you’ve had Golden Flake cheese puffs. Cheap but the cheesy goodness is incomparable.
15. Just about everyone I meet asks me if my name is actually Abigail. It’s not. Just Abby.
16. In a game, every time I go up to bat and go on defense I draw two things in the dirt: a cross and D.S. (My Paw Paw’s initials. He was my greatest fan.)
17. I have a screw in my right foot from surgery I had in eighth grade.
18. I have a rifle.
19. I sleep with a stuffed beaver. And one time he attacked me in my sleep … or so I thought. I woke up with a skinned knee and an aching foot from our brutal battle that night.
20. I am incredibly thankful for the opportunity to play softball at UVa and my time here. I have loved every minute of it, and it has truly been the time of my life. I consider myself very lucky to have been able to play our sport at such a unique and exceptional university.