Women's Tennis Downs Rival Virginia Tech 5-2
BLACKSBURG, Va. – The No. 27 Virginia women’s tennis team remained unbeaten in ACC play as its topped No. 60 Virginia Tech Sunday afternoon at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center. The Cavaliers improve to 10-3 overall, 3-0 in the ACC, while the Hokies fall to 9-4 (2-1 ACC).
Virginia took a 1-0 lead by sweeping all three doubles matches. Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) and Maria Fuccillo (Rockville,Md.) cruised to an 8-3 win at No. 2 over Yasmin Hamza and Holly Johnson. Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) and Erin Vierra (Norwell, Mass.) scored an 8-4 win at No. 1 over Martha Blakely and Emily Lauten. Katie Gater (Dunblane, Scotland) and Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton. Fla.) completed the sweep with an 8-4 win over Shannon Betts amd Courtney Rauscher at No. 3.
The Cavaliers quickly won three singles matches in straight sets to secure the win. Hardenbergh downed Blakely 6-1, 6-2 at No. 1 to make the score 2-0. Tomljanovic made the score 3-0 with her 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 4 over Rauscher. Fraser clinched the match with her 6-2, 7-6 win at No. 2 over Hamza. Later in the match, Vierra added a win in a third-set match tiebreaker over Betts.
“The team competed well today and came out strong in doubles and again in the early stages of singles,” said head coach Mark Guilbeau. “Virginia Tech stayed tough and definitely made our team work hard to finish out the matches we won. It was a very positive performance for this team and a well-earned victory. We look forward to two great matches next weekend at Florida State and Miami. We will work hard this week and intend to be very sharp as we move ahead.”
Virginia concludes its month of March road trip next weekend as they visit Florida State and Maryland.
No. 27 Virginia 5, No. 60 Virginia Tech 2
1. #50 Hardenbergh/Vierra (UVa) def. Blakely/Lauten (VT) 8-4
2. Frasier/Fuccillo (UVa) def. Hamza/Johnson (VT) 8-3
3. Gater/Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Betts/Rauscher (VT) 8-4
1. #41 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) def. Martha Blakely (VT) 6-1, 6-2
2. Emily Fraser (UVa) def. Yasmin Hamza (VT) 6-2, 7-6 (4)
3. Erin Vierra (UVa) def. Shannon Betts (VT) 6-1, 6-7 (4), 1-0 (5)
4. Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Courtney Rauscher (VT) 6-3, 6-2
5. Emily Lauten (VT) def. Maria Fuccillo (UVa) 6-2, 7-5
6. Holly Johnson (VT) def. Katie Gater (UVa) 7-6 (2) , 6-1
Order of Finish: