Women's Tennis Wins 4-3 at NC State
RALEIGH, N.C. – The No. 40 Virginia women’s tennis team snapped a four-match losing streak with a 4-3 win at No. 32 NC State Saturday afternoon at the J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center. The Cavaliers improved to 11-7 overall and evened their ACC mark at 4-4, while the Wolfpack fell to 9-9 (1-7 ACC).
The Cavaliers took a 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point, which proved to be crucial. Virginia got wins at No. 1 and No. 3, both by 8-4 scores. Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.) and Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton, Fla.) topped Sandhya Nagaraj and Daria Petrovic at the top position, while Maria Fuccillo (Rockville, Md.) and Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) downed Berkeley Brock and Diana Mortlock at No. 3 to clinch the opening point.
In singles, the Cavaliers doubled their lead as Stevens defeated Tana Illova 6-3, 6-2 at the No. 5 position. The Wolfpack drew even at 2-2 with wins at No. 3 and No. 6. Virginia retook the lead when Tomljanovic defeated Petrovic 6-2, 2-6, 6-4 at No. 4 singles. Fraser clinched the win for the Cavalier with her 7-6(4), 6-3 win over Lenka Hojckova at No. 2.
The Cavaliers conclude the road portion of their regular season schedule on Sunday when they visit Wake Forest. Match time in Winston-Salem is noon.
No. 40 Virginia 4, No. 32 NC State 3
1. #65 Stevens/Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Nagaraj/Petrovic (NCSU) 8-4
2. Hojckova/Illova (NCSU) def. #44 Hardenbergh/Vierra (UVa) 8-4
3. Fuccillo/Fraser (UVa) def. Brock/Mortlock (NCSU) 8-4
1. #68 Sandhya Nagaraj (NCSU) def. #42 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
2. Emily Fraser (UVa) def. Lenka Hojckova (NCSU) 7-6(4), 6-3
3. Berkeley Brock (NCSU) def. Erin Vierra (UVa) 6-2, 6-1
4. Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Daria Petrovic (NCSU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
5. Jennifer Stevens (UVa) def. Tana Illova (NCSU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Chloe Smith (NCSU) def. Maria Fuccillo (UVa) 6-3, 6-4
Order of Finish: