No. 1 Cavaliers Conclude Regular Season with Win at Clemson
CLEMSON, S.C. – The top-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team completed an undefeated run through the ACC regular season for the fourth consecutive season by winning 7-0 at No. 44 Clemson in the regular season finale. The Cavaliers (32-1, 11-0 ACC) also tied the school record for wins in a season with their 32nd victory of the season.
Virginia took a 1-0 lead by taking the doubles point from the Tigers (15-6, 6-4 ACC). Houston Barrick (Brentwood, Tenn.) and Sanam Singh (Chandigarh, India) gave Virginia an early edge with an 8-4 win over Wes Moran and Juan Bolona at No. 2, but Clemson drew even when Derek DiFazio and Gera Boryachinskiy upset Michael Shabaz (Fairfax, Va.) and Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) at No. 1. Lee Singer (Lagina Niguel, Calif.) and Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) secured the opening point for Virginia by defeating Rok Bizjak and Moritz Dettinger in a tiebreaker at No. 3.
In singles, the Cavaliers swept all six matches, winning each in straight sets. Steven Eelkman Rooda (Amersfoort, The Netherlands) made the score 2-0 as he cruised to a 6-0, 6-2 win over Moran at No. 6. Singh followed with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Carlos Alvarez at No. 2. Jenkins clinched the victory with his 6-3, 6-2 win over Bizjak at the No. 4 position. Courtney added a 7-6, 6-2 win over Kevin Galloway at No. 3, Shabaz topped DiFazio 6-2, 7-6 at No. 1, and Barrick topped Boryachinskiy 6-2, 6-3 at No. 5 to complete the sweep.
The win was the Cavaliers’ 58th consecutive victory against conference competition, extending their ACC record. The 32nd win of the season tied Virginia’s school record set in 2008 and matched last season.
The Cavaliers will be the top seed at next week’s ACC Tournament, held at the Cary Tennis Center in Cary, N.C. Virginia will have a first round bye before opening play on Friday, April 23 in the quarterfinals.
No. 1 Virginia 7, No. 44 Clemson 0
1. DiFazio/Boryachinskiy (Clem) def. #6 ShabazCourtney (UVa) 8-5
2. #32 Barrick/Singh (UVa) def. Moran/Bolona (Clem) 8-4
3. #56 Singer/Jenkins (UVa) def. Bizjak/Dettinger (Clem) 9-8(1)
1. #6 Michael Shabaz (UVa) def. Derek DiFazio (Clem) 6-2, 7-6
2. #13 Sanam Singh (UVa) def. Carlos Alvarez (Clem) 6-3, 6-0
3. #59 Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Kevin Galloway (Clem) 7-6, 6-2
4. #45 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. Rok Bizjak (Clem) 6-3, 6-2
5. #103 Houston Barrick (UVa) def. Gera Boryachinskiy (Clem) 6-2, 6-3
6. #120 Steven Eelkman Rooda (UVa) def. Wes Moran (Clem) 6-0, 6-2
Order of Finish: