CHARLOTTESVILLE – The top-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team opened play in the 2010 NCAA Tournament with a 4-0 win over Navy Saturday afternoon at the Snyder Tennis Center. The Cavaliers (36-1) will meet ACC rival Wake Forest in the second round on Sunday at 1 p.m. for a trip to the round of 16.
“This is as we have been and I thought we came out focused and played very well,” said head coach Brian Boland. “As a team, I don’t think we could be in a better place. We have had a few great weeks of practice since the ACC Tournament and that hard work really was evident today. We came out with a lot of energy in doubles and that carried throughout the day into singles. We are excited to come out and play a great Wake team tomorrow.”
Virginia took a 1-0 lead by taking the doubles point from the Midshipmen (16-14). Lee Singer (Laguna Niguel, Calif.) and Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) cruised to an 8-1 win over Marcus Rebersak and Zach Nicholson at No. 3 doubles. At No. 2, Sanam Singh (Chandigarh, India) and Houston Barrick (Brentwood, Tenn.) clinched the opening point for the Cavaliers with an 8-1 win over Ramsey Lemaich and Nick Birger.
Virginia wasted little time securing the final three points, with the top of the lineup leading the way. Singh’s 6-0, 6-0 win over Rebersak at No. 2 made the score 2-0. Michael Shabaz (Fairfax, Va.) gave the Cavaliers at 3-0 lead with his 6-2, 6-1 win over Owen Bullard at the top position. Jenkins closed out the win with his 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 3 over Anderson Walls.
“I think Virginia is even better this year than what they were last year when we played them in the first round,” said Navy head coach John Officer, We were not used to seeing some of the shots that came back at us today. They are No. 1 for a reason and we wish them luck in the rest of the tournament.”
Virginia will meet Wake Forest in the second round Sunday at 1 p.m. at the Snyder Tennis Center. The Demon Deacons topped Columbia 4-0 in the other first round match on Saturday in Charlottesville.
No. 1 Virginia 4, Navy 0
1. #14 ShabazCourtney (UVa) led Bullard/Gutsche (Navy) 6-2 DNF
2. #41 Barrick/Singh (UVa) def. Birger/Lemaich (Navy) 8-1
3. Singer/Jenkins (UVa) def. Rebersak/Nicholson (Navy) 8-1
1. #11 Michael Shabaz (UVa) def. Owen Bullard (Navy) 6-2, 6-1
2. #14 Sanam Singh (UVa) def. Marcus Rebersak (Navy) 6-0, 6-0
3. #57 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. Anderson Walls (Navy) 6-1, 6-1
4. #46 Drew Courtney (UVa) led Jeremy New (Navy) 6-2, 4-1 DNF
5. #106 Houston Barrick (UVa) led Zach Nicholson (Navy) 6-3, 2-1 DNF
6. #72 Lee Singer (UVa) led Nicholas Gutsche (Navy) 6-1, 2-0 DNF
Order of Finish:
No. 22 Wake Forest 4, No. 45 Columbia 0
1. #21 Forman/Atkinson (Wake) def. Wong/Schneiderman (Col) 8-4
2. Kung/Gery (Col) led Wolff/Leslie (Wake) 6-4 DNF
3. Kreyman/Carleton (Wake) def. Bucher/Deb-Sen (Col) 8-5
1. #26 Steven Forman (Wake) led Jonathan Wong (Col) 6-4, 3-0 DNF
2. #48 Tripper Carleton (Wake) def. Mihai Nichifor (Col) 6-2, 4-1 ret.
3. #98 Iain Atkinson (Wake) def. Haig Schniderman (Col) 6-4, 6-2
4. #118 Jonathan Wolff (Wake) def. Cyril Bucher (Col) 6-3, 6-2
5. Danny Kreyman (Wake) led Rajeev Deb-Sen (Col) 6-2, 5-2 DNF
6. Nathaniel Gery (Col) led Zach Leslie (Wake) 7-5, 2-1 DNF
Order of Finish: