- Click here for The Wahoo Blog Archives (September 2009 through November 2011)
June 6, 2012
• The NBA Draft Combine will be held Thursday and Friday (June 7-8) in Chicago and former Virginia standout Mike Scott is scheduled to participate. For Thursday coverage of the NBA Draft Combine click here beginning at 10 a.m. and for Friday coverage click here beginning at 10 a.m.
May 15, 2012
• Whitey Reid of the Charlottesville Daily Progress wrote about the Virginia men’s basketball team playing at Wisconsin in the 2012 ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Click here to read the article. • Former Virginia basketball standout Val Ackerman is the featured speaker for the University’s Valedictory Exercises on Saturday, May 19, while UVa graduate and award-winning journalist and TV personality Katie Couric will deliver the commencement address at Virginia’s Final Exercises on Sunday, May 20. Click here to read more.
May 9, 2012
• The Virginia men’s track and field squad is ranked No. 26 in the latest USTFCCCA national rankings, while the men’s and women’s teams are fourth in this week’s Southeast Region rankings. To see all the polls, click here. • Row2k.com has previewed this Sunday’s Eastern Sprints, that will feature the Virginia rowing team. Check out the preview here.
May 8, 2012
• Jeff White of VirginiaSports.com recently talked to Virginia men’s head basketball coach Tony Bennett and wrote about his conversation in “Catching Up With Tony Bennett.”
May 7, 2012
• From this weekend’s Charlottesville Daily Progress: Virginia’s Owen Having Stellar Senior Season. Reporter Whitelaw Reid also published his ‘Josie Owen Extras’ – quotes that didn’t make it into the story from the senior women’s lacrosse attacker.
May 4, 2012
• Former Cavalier basketball player Mustapha Farrakhan was named to the second-team NBA D-League All-Rookie Team.
April 28, 2012
• Virginia field hockey players Paige Selenski and Michelle Vittese, spending the year in California with the U.S. National Team, having been training on and off with Navy SEALs. USA Today did an article on Olympic hopefuls working with the SEALs.
• Charlie Creme of ESPN.com has posted early rankings on the nation’s best women’s basketball teams for 2012-13, and Virginia is listed as a team to watch.
April 27, 2012
• US Soccer had a feature this week on former Virginia and current US Women’s National Team Defender Becky Sauerbrunn.
April 24, 2012
• The Virginia men’s outdoor track and field is ranked No. 23 in the lastest USTFCCCA national rankings and third in the Southeast Region poll. The women are tabbed fourth in the lastest region poll. Check out all the USTFCCCA polls here.
April 23, 2012
• Here’s a good story on former major leaguer and Virginia baseball standout Mike Cubbage, which ran in the Richmond Times-Dispatch today.
April 22, 2012
• Jeff White of VirginiaSports.com takes a look at the ACC Track and Field Championships, which concluded yesterday at Lannigan Field. Check out the article here.
April 19, 2012
• Today on the Cavalier News Beat, Jeff White looks at Virginia senior coxswain Sidney Thorsten of the rowing program and seniod Marcus Robinson of the track and field squad. • In the Roanoke Times, Doug Doughty writes about Virginia track star Catherine White ahead of this weekend’s ACC Championships at Lannigan Field. Check out the article here.
April 17, 2012
• Inside Lacrosse took a look at the top women’s lacrosse players in the nation by position and Virginia’s Josie Owen (attack) and Kim Kolarik (goalkeeper) were singled out. Read the story here. • Check out Jeff White‘s article on the ACC Track and Field Championships coming to Lannigan Field for the first time since 2002 here.
April 16, 2012
• Susanne Grainger of the Virginia rowing team was nominated along with her fellow Canadian Under-23 women’s eight teammates for the 2011 Ontario Sports Award team of the year. Check out The Londoner’s article by Chris Montanini about Grainger, who is from London, Ontario.
• The No. 1 Virginia rowing team had a strong outing at the UVa Invitational on Lake Monticello on April 14-15. Check out the Newsplex’s coverage (with video) here, Whitey Reid’s story in the Daily Progress here and Reid’s video interviews with Coach Kevin Sauer, senior Sarah Borchelt and junior Kristine O’Brien here.
April 14, 2012
• Former Virginia tennis players Treat Huey and Dom Inglot have teamed to reach the doubles final of the US Clay Court Championships in Houston, an ATP 250 event. They will meet James Blake and Sam Querrey in Saturday’s final, starting at 7 p.m. ET, a match that will air live on Tennis Channel. With a victory, they would become the first Virginia alumni to win either a singles or doubles title on the ATP Tour.
April 12, 2012
• The Virginia rowing team is ranked No. 1 for the fourth straight week, according to this week’s USRowing/CRCA poll. To see the full poll, click here. • Good story on UVa outfielder Colin Harrington in the Cavalier Daily today.
April 10, 2012
• The Virginia women’s outdoor track and field team is up four spots this week to third in this week’s USTFCCCA Southeast Region poll, while the men’s squad stays static at fourth. To see all the USTFCCCA polls, click here.
April 5, 2012
• Inside Lacrosse issued a ‘Midseason Report’ and included a ‘list of players that impact their team day in and day out and have also built an impressive individual resume.’ Senior attacker Josie Owen and freshman defender Daniela Eppler are included in the report. Read it here.
• The Virginia rowing team maintains its No. 1 ranking in the USRowing/Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association poll. To see all of the USRowing/CRCA polls, click here. • SI.com did a gallery of classic photos of Ralph Sampson in honor of his selection to the Basketball Hall of Fame.
April 4, 2012
• Virginia tennis player Mitchell Frank is the subject of a feature on SI.com.
• VirginiaSports.com’s Jeff White caught up with women’s basketball’s Sarah Imovbioh. The Cavaliers finished with a 25-11 overall record and an appearance in the WNIT Quarterfinals.
April 3, 2012
• The Virginia men’s outdoor track and field team comes in fourth in the first USTFCCCA region polls of the year, while the women are tabbed seventh. Check out all of this week’s polls here.
March 29, 2012
• Virginia rowing maintains its No. 1 ranking in the latest Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association/USRowing poll. To see the entire poll, click here.
March 27, 2012
• Former Virginia swimmer Claire Crippen (2008-11) is the latest (and one of four nationally) honoree to be showcased in the Buick Human Highlight Reel, presented by SB Nation. The Buick Human Highlight Reel showcases former college athletes who have made a difference on and off the field. You can watch Claire’s video feature here.
• Former Virginia swimmer Stefan Hirniak (2004-07) competes at the Canadian Olympic Trials beginning today in Montreal. The Postgame.com recently profiled his journey in an article written by another former UVa swimmer, Ian Pritchard.
March 26, 2012
• Check out the trailer for a show, There and Back – An All-Access Show on Virginia Lacrosse. Former UVa All-American Jay Jalbert’s production company is putting together this show for May, which will be televised on ESPNU. Watch the three minute trailer here.
March 22, 2012
• Good coverage in the Cavalier Daily today about the Virginia rowing team being ranked No. 1 in the country and the first Varsity Eight being named ACC Crew of the Week. Check out the article here.
March 19, 2012
• Virginia men’s golfer Ben Kohles has been named Golfweek’s National Player of the Week following his victory at the Schenkel Invitational where he set a school scoring record with a 54-hole total of 198. Kohles moved up to No. 7 in the Golfweek individual standings.
March 14, 2012
• The Virginia women’s track and field/cross country program is ranked 17th in the USTFCCCA Terry Crawford Program of the Year standings after the conclusion of the indoor track and field season. Check out the full standings here.
March 13, 2012
• Virginia rowing senior Martha Kuzzy sat down for an interview with row2k.com’s Erik Dresser. Check out the full interview here.
March 12, 2012
• The 64-team field for the 2012 NCAA Women’s Basketball Championship will be announced tonight (Monday) at 7 p.m. on ESPN and ESPN3. The Cavaliers are projected as a No. 9 seed in the Kingston, R.I., regional by ESPN.com.
March 6, 2012
• Former Virginia women’s basketball All-American Dawn Staley is a nominee for the U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame Class of 2012. Staley is a finalist in the individual category as well as in the team category with the 1996 USA Basketball Women’s Olympic Team. Cast your vote here.
• The NCAA has posted its national women’s lacrosse statistics and senior attacker Josie Owen’s 13 assists rank second in the nation. Also in the top 10: Owen’s assists per game (8th/2.6), Kim Kolarik’s ground balls per game (5th/4.0) and Kim Kolarik’s saves (7th/45). Check out the national rankings here.
• Here are highlights from Virginia women’s basketball ACC Tournament games vs. Boston College and Maryland. Also check out senior forward Chelsea Shine hosting the Feb. 24 Cavalier Sports Weekly. • ESPN.com’s Charlie Creme has Virginia women’s basketball as a No. 9 seed in the Kingston, R.I., region in his latest bracketology. • Former Cavalier men’s soccer defender Hunter Jumper has been signed by the Chicago Fire. Read the full story from the Fire here.
March 4, 2012
• Great story on former UVa pitcher Danny Hultzen in the Washington Post today. Read the story here.
March 1, 2012
• Former Cavaliers Claudio Reyna and Tony Meola were elected to the Soccer Hall of Fame. Read the full story here.
February 29, 2012
• Virginia men’s indoor track and field remains at No. 2 in the USTFCCCA Southeast Region poll this week, while the women come in at No. 9. Check out all the USTFCCCA polls here.
February 27, 2012
• Lacrosse Magazine’s Clare Lochary was in Charlottesville for UVa’s 9-7 win over 12th-ranked Syracuse on Sunday. Check out her recap of the game here. The Daily Progress’ recap is here, and don’t forget to check out video highlights of the victory.
February 21, 2012
• ESPN.com’s Charlie Creme has released his latest women’s college basketball bracketology. He’s got Virginia as a No. 8 seed in the Kingston, R.I., region. Check out the full bracket here.
February 20, 2012
• After a victory over No. 7 Loyola to open the season, Virginia jumped to No. 6 in the deBeer Media Poll. UVa is ranked No. 5 in Inside Lacrosse’s Power Rankings. • Here are video highlights of Virginia women’s basketball’s 66-40 victory over Virginia Tech on Sunday (Feb. 19).
February 14, 2012
• The Virginia men’s indoor track and field team is on the cusp of breaking into the USTFCCCA Top 25 rankings, coming in at 27th. The Cavalier men are also ranked second in the Southeast Region, while the women are seventh. To check out the full polls, click here.
• Virginia wrestling head coach Steve Garland joined Scott Casper on Takedown Radio today. You can listen to the full interview here.
February 8, 2012
• Jerry Ratcliffe of The Daily Progress went one-on-one with UVa head baseball coach Brian O’Connor to look back at the 2011 season and look ahead the upcoming year. Read the full article here.
February 7, 2012
• Bill Hass has written an article on Virginia men’s basketball player Mike Scott for theACC.com. You can read the article by clicking here. • The UVa men’s and women’s indoor track and field teams are ranked seventh and ninth, respectively, in the latest USTFCCCA Southeast Region poll. To see the full polls, click here.
February 6, 2012
• Ari Dimas of the UVa men’s soccer team is currently serving as one of the Presidential Interns for the 2012 Spring Semester. The fourth-year is working as an intern in President Sullivan’s office all semester. Read more here.
• Virginia field hockey players Paige Selenski and Michelle Vittese, recently honored at UVa for National Girls and Women in Sports Day, were recently profiled by Paul Woody of the Richmond Times-Dispatch.
January 31, 2012
• The Virginia men’s and women’s track teams are up to No. 2 and 6, respectively, in this week’s USTFCCCA Southeast Region polls. Check out the full polls here. • Former Virginia baseball infielder Corey Hunt has taken over the reins as head coach of the Monticello High School baseball team. He talked about his new role here.
January 30, 2012
• Two sets of highlights from the Virginia women’s basketball team’s 62-52 victory over visiting Florida State: ACC Digital Network and VirginiaSportsTV.com. Don’t forget you can watch a replay of the entire ESPNU broadcast here (available for 30 days).
January 25, 2012
• Former Virginia men’s soccer defender Hunter Jumper is settling into his new job with the Chicago Fire. Here is a Q&A from the Fire website on Jumper.
January 24, 2012
• Check out a new public service announcement from the ACC and United Way featuring track and field’s Dallas Rose.
• The Virginia women’s indoor track and field team is ranked 11th in the first USTFCCCA Southeast Regional poll. Check out the full poll as well as the national rankings here.
January 23, 2012
• A few new video features from VirginiaSportsTV.com on the women’s basketball program: highlights of the Cavaliers’ win over Boston College, a behind-the-scenes look at UVa’s win over Virginia Tech and assistant coach Cory McNeill being ‘mic’ed up’ during the Massachusetts victory in December.
• Former Virginia women’s soccer All-American Lori Lindsey scored her first international goal for the US Women’s National Team on Sunday in the Americans’ 13-0 win over Guatemala in CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying.
January 20, 2012
• Former Cavalier men’s soccer forward Tony Tchani has battled back from a mystery illness and is competing for a roster spot with the Columbus Crew. Read about his latest update here.
January 19, 2012
• USA Today posted today this Q&A with Mike Scott.
January 18, 2012
• Two recent UVa women’s basketball videos: sophomore guard Ataira Franklin hosting Cavalier Sports Weekly and highlights from the team’s road game at Maryland.
• Virginia baseball head coach Brian O’Connor was a guest on WINA Radio’s Best Seat in the House last night to preview the upcoming Step Up to the Plate event. You can listen to the interview here.
January 17, 2012
• Former Virginia baseball pitcher/first baseman Danny Hultzen was profiled today on Mariners.com. Read the full Q&A here. • Here’s a recent story profiling former UVa men’s soccer midfielder Brian ‘Cobi’ Span, who signed a contract in December with a professional team in Sweden: full story.
January 15, 2012
• Former Cavalier standout Emily Harrison finished 30th in the 2012 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials in Houston on Saturday. She finished the 26.2 mile course in 2:37.45. Full results can be found here.
January 14, 2012
• Mark Berman of The Roanoke Times wrote an article about former Cavalier Emily Harrison ahead of today’s U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials in Houston. Check out the full story here. • Aaron McFarling, a columnist with the Roanoke Times, wrote an article concerning how the Virginia men’s basketball team held up in the atmosphere at Duke’s Cameron Indoor Stadium on Jan. 12. Click here to read the article.
January 13, 2012
• Jeff Nations of Northern Virginia Daily wrote an article recently about former Virginia track and cross country standout Emily Harrison and her preparation for Saturday’s U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials in Houston. Click here for the full story. • Former Cavalier pitcher Matt Packer was mentioned in Baseball America’s “Best Tools” list for the Cleveland Indians’ organization and was credited with the system’s Best Changeup. Check out the full list here.
January 12, 2012
• Steve Yanda of The Washington Post recently wrote about the defense being played by the Virginia men’s basketball team and Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski’s impressions of the Cavaliers. Click here to read what Yanda wrote.
January 11, 2012
• Virginia baseball coach Brian O’Connor was featured on the latest College Baseball 360 podcast. To listen to the full podcast, click here.
• The U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) has released its preseason rankings for the 2012 indoor track and field season. The Cavalier men have been tabbed 37th, while the women rank 46th. To see the full release, click here.
January 10, 2012
• ESPN.com’s Charlie Creme released his latest women’s basketball NCAA Tournament projection and he has the Cavaliers as a No. 8 seed in the Des Moines region. Click here for the full bracket. • If you missed Joanne Boyle’s radio show last night, you can catch the replay online here. The Cavaliers host in-state and conference rival Virginia Tech Thursday at 7 p.m. at John Paul Jones Arena. That game will be streamed online by Cavaliers Live.
January 9, 2012
• The Swimmers Circle has put out its midseason awards for the ACC and several Virginia swimmers get a mention. The article was also written by former Hoo Eric Olesen.
January 8, 2012
• David Teel of the Newport News Daily Press featured junior guard Jontel Evans of the Virginia men’s basketball team in his article on the Cavaliers’ 52-51 victory over Miami on Saturday, Jan. 7.
January 7, 2012
• Season tickets for the 2012 men’s and women’s lacrosse seasons are on sale now. Here is all the information.
January 6, 2012
• VirginiaSports.com’s Jeff White recaps the Cavalier women’s basketball team’s double-overtime loss to No. 25 North Carolina. Read the Daily Progress recap here. Check out the photo gallery from the game.
January 4, 2012
• The University of Virginia is ranked No. 3 on Kiplinger’s Top 10 Values in Public Colleges for 2012. Check out the summary on UVa here.
• Four Virginia wrestlers are ranked in the latest InterMat individual rankings, including freshman Nick Sulzer, who makes his first appearance in the standings at 165 pounds. He is ranked No. 16 this week. Get the full rankings here.
• Whitey Reid of the Charlottesville Daily Progress wrote an article on senior guard Sammy Zeglinski of the Virginia men’s basketball team and you can read the article here.
January 2, 2012
• UVa women’s basketball is in Durham, N.C., to take on eighth-ranked Duke. Read the Daily Progress’ preview here.
December 27, 2011
• The ACC Digital Network did this feature on the men’s basketball team’s defense for its ACC Playbook feature.
December 19, 2011
• The University of Virginia has been named one of the 14 Most Beautiful Colleges for Runners by BestCollegesOnline.com. Check out the full list here.
December 16, 2011
• Eric Angevine writing for C-VILLE Weekly recently wrote a story about Assane Sene of the Virginia men’s basketball team. You can read the story by clicking here. • Click here to read a story by Jeff White of VirginiaSports.com on UVa men’s basketball player Joe Harris returning to his home area of the Pacific Northwest as the Cavaliers play games at Oregon (Dec. 18) and Seattle (Dec. 21).
December 15, 2011
• Former Cavaliers outfielder Brandon Guyer has been named a 2011 Organization All-Star for the Tampa Bay Rays. View the full story here.
December 14, 2011
• Virginia point guard China Crosby has been named one of the ‘2012 Players Making The Buzz’ for the Nancy Lieberman Award. The award is given to women’s college basketball’s best point guard and the winner will be announced in April 2012. See the list here.
December 12, 2011
• Branden Kline of the UVa baseball team has been tabbed No. 41 on MLB.com’s Top 50 Draft Prospect Watch for 2012. Get the full list here.
December 11, 2011
• Ritchie McKay, the associate head coach of the Virginia men’s basketball team, is participating for the second consecutive season in “Shots from the Heart,” a program designed to raise awareness of the growing problem of heart disease. Whitelaw Reid of The Daily Progress in Charlottesville wrote an article about Coach McKay’s participation in “Shots from the Heart” and you can read the article by clicking here.
• Former UVa pitcher Andrew Carraway has been named the Jackson Generals’ Pitcher of the Year. Jackson is the double-A affiliate of the Seattle Mariners. View the full release here.
December 9, 2011
• Patrick Stevens of The Washington Times wrote an article on Jontel Evans of the Virginia men’s basketball team after the Cavaliers’ recent 68-48 victory over George Mason. You can read the article by clicking here.
December 3, 2011
• Read what Jeff White of VirginiaSports.com has to say about the Virginia men’s basketball team following up on its recent victory over No. 14 Michigan by clicking here.
• Jerry Ratcliffe of the Charlottesville Daily Progress recently wrote a column on freshman guard Malcolm Brogdon of the Virginia men’s basketball team. Click here to read the column.
December 1, 2011
• Virginia’s wrestling recruiting class for the 2012-13 season has been ranked 12th nationally in WIN’s early recruiting rankings. Check out the full rankings here.