Top-Ranked Cavaliers Down No. 25 Wake Forest 6-1
April 6, 2013
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The top-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team posted its ninth victory this season over a top-25 opponent, downing No. 25 Wake Forest 6-1 Saturday at the Wake Forest Tennis Complex. The Cavaliers remained unbeaten on the season, improving to 16-0 overall and 5-0 in the ACC, while the Demon Deacons fell to 14-6 overall and 3-2 in the conference.
The win extended the Cavaliers’ conference-record win streak to 98 consecutive victories over ACC opponents.
Virginia opened the match by sweeping all three doubles matches for a 1-0 lead. Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) and Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) gave UVa the early advantage with an 8-4 win at No. 3 over Jon Ho and Sam Bloom. Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) followed with an 8-3 win at No. 2 over Adam Lee and Danny Kreyman to clinch the point. Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) and Mac Styslinger (Birmingham, Ala.) completed the sweep with a tiebreaker victory over David Hopkins and Amogh Prabhakar at the No. 1 position.
In singles, the Cavalier lead quickly doubled as Domijan posted a 6-2, 6-1 win over Prabhakar at the No. 2 spot. Jenkins followed with a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 1 over Hopkins and Shane added a 6-3, 6-3 win at No. 5 over Ho to seal the victory. After Uriguen downed Bloom 7-5, 6-1 at No. 6 to make the score 5-0, Wake recorded its only point of the day with Lee’s 6-3, 7-5 victory over Styslinger at No. 4. The match concluded with Frank’s 4-6, 6-2, 6-2 victory over Kreyman at No. 3 to make the final score 6-1.
Virginia concludes its road trip on Sunday as it visits No. 36 NC State. Match time in Raleigh is 1 p.m.
#1 VIRGINIA 6, #25 WAKE FOREST 1
1. #2 Jenkins/Styslinger (UVa) def. Hopkins/Prabhakar (WF) 8-7
2. #9 Frank/Domijan (UVa) def. Kreyman/Lee (WF) 8-3
3. #31 J.Shane/J.Uriguen (UVa) def. Ho/Bloom (WF) 8-4
1. #2 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. David Hopkins (WF) 6-3, 6-2
2. #1 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. #60 Amogh Prabhakar (WF) 6-2, 6-1
3. #27 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. Danny Kreyman (WF) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Adam Lee (WF) def. #16 Mac Styslinger (UVa) 6-3, 7-5
5. Justin Shane (UVa) def. Jon Ho (WF) 6-3, 6-3
6. Julen Uriguen (UVa) def. Sam Bloom (WF) 7-5, 6-1
Order of Finish