Cavaliers Blank Wolfpack 7-0 to Conclude Road Trip
April 7, 2013
RALEIGH, N.C. – The top-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team concluded its three-match road trip with a 7-0 win over No. 36 NC State Sunday at the Dail Outdoor Tennis Center. The Cavaliers remain unbeaten this season at 17-0 overall and 6-0 in the ACC, while the Wolfpack fell to 12-8 overall and 5-3 in the conference.
The win extended the Cavaliers’ conference-record win streak to 99 consecutive victories over ACC opponents.
For the fifth consecutive match, Virginia took a 1-0 lead by sweeping all the doubles matches. Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) and Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) wasted little time getting the Cavaliers on the board with an 8-1 at No. 3 over Austin Powell and Beck Bond. Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) followed with an 8-5 victory over Robbie Mudge and Thomas Weigel at No. 2. Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) and Mac Styslinger (Birmingham, Ala.) downed Sean Weber and Dave Thomson 8-4 at No. 1 to complete the sweep.
In singles, the Cavaliers won four matches in straight sets to extend their lead to 5-0. Domijan was off the courts first, posting a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Thomson at No. 3. Ryan Shane (Falls Church, Va.) downed Weigel 6-3, 6-4 at No. 4 and Frank defeated Mudge 6-1, 6-4 at No. 2 to clinch the victory. Styslinger followed with a 6-3, 6-4 win at No. 5 over Weber.
The two final matches went to a decisive third set. Jenkins rallied from losing the first set for a 4-6, 6-1, 6-2 victory at No. 1 over Powell. Harrison Richmond (Pawleys Island, S.C.) closed out the match with his 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 win over Bond at the No. 6 position.
Virginia will look for its 100th consecutive win against ACC opposition on Friday when it returns home to host No. 19 Clemson. Match time at the Snyder Tennis Center is 3 p.m.
#1 VIRGINIA 7, #36 NC STATE 0
1. #2 Jenkins/Styslinger (UVa) def. #16 Weber/Thomson (NCSU) 8-4
2. #9 Frank/Domijan (UVa) def. Mudge/Weigel (NCSU) 8-5
3. #31 J.Shane/J.Uriguen (UVa) def. Powell/Bond (NCSU) 8-1
1. #2 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. Austin Powell (NCSU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
2. #27 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. Robbie Mudge (NCSU) 6-1, 6-4
3. #1 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Dave Thomson (NCSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. #39 Ryan Shane (UVa) def. Thomas Weigel (NCSU) 6-3, 6-4
5. #16 Mac Styslinger (UVa) def. Sean Weber (NCSU) 6-3, 6-4
6. #72 Harrison Richmond (UVa) def. Beck Bond (NCSU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
Order of Finish