Men's Tennis Downs Indiana to Advance to National Team Indoors
Jan. 25, 2014
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The top-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team advanced to the 2014 ITA National Team Indoor Championships with a 9-0 victory over No. 55 Indiana Saturday night in an ITA Kickoff Weekend match at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers (2-0) advance to National Team Indoors for the 10th consecutive year, while the Hoosiers fall to 1-2 on the season.
“I feel good about the way we have started the season,” said head coach Brian Boland. “We have come out with a lot of energy and competed at a high level. I am most impressed with their focus throughout the entire weekend. When we got on the court, every guy was engaged and ready for every single point. That shows in the fact we didn’t drop a set over these first two matches.”
The Cavaliers took a 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point. Jordan Daigle (Lafayette, La.) and Harrison Richmond (Pawleys Island, S.C.) moved into the No. 3 doubles spot and gave Virginia its first victory. It was followed seconds later by a win at No. 1 by Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) and Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) that clinched the doubles point. Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) and Luca Corinteli (Alexandria, Va.) completed the sweep with a tiebreak win at the No. 2 position.
The teams played an expanded format that featured eight singles matches and Virginia won all eight in straight sets. Domijan, Corinteli and Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (Charlotte, N.C.) posted wins at No. 2, No. 8 and No. 7, respectively, to extend the lead to 4-0. Shane’s win at No. 4 clinched victory and was followed by Frank’s win at No. 1. Ryan Shane (Falls Church, Va.), Mac Styslinger (Birmingham, Ala.) and Daigle closed out wins at No. 3, No. 5 and No. 6 to complete the sweep of the Hoosiers.
Virginia will travel to Houston, Texas for this year’s ITA National Team Indoors, which will run Feb. 14-17. The Cavaliers are the reigning ITA Indoor champions and have won the title five of the last six seasons.
The Cavaliers conclude their four-match homestand Sunday with a doubleheader at the Boyd Tinsley Courts. Virginia hosts Boston College at noon in the ACC opener before playing Navy at 6 p.m.
#1 VIRGINIA 9, #55 INDIANA 0
1. Domijan/J.Shane (UVa) def. Lalic/Tasic (IU) 6-2
2. Frank/Corinteli (UVa) def. Monette/Bednarczyk (IU) 6-5(4)
3. Daigle/Richmond (UVa) def. Sellitto/Yee (IU) 6-3
Order of Finish: 3,1,2
1. #3 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. #80 Sven Lalic (IU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Sam Monette (IU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Ryan Shane (UVa) def. Demitrije Tasic (IU) 6-5(2), 6-3
4. #115 Justin Shane (UVa) def. Daniel Bednarczyk (IU) 6-2, 6-3
5. #94 Mac Styslinger (UVa) def. Stefan Lugonjic (IU) 6-4, 6-4
6. #43 Jordan Daigle (UVa) def. Elliott Yee (IU) 6-2, 6-5(5)
7. Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (UVa) def. Matthew McCoy (IU) 6-1, 6-2
8. Luca Corinteli (UVa) def. Michael Sellitto (IU) 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2,7,8,4,1,3,5,6