No. 6 Virginia Sweeps Pitt
March 23, 2014
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 6 Virginia women’s tennis team (12-4, 6-1 ACC) closed out the weekend with a 7-0 victory over Pittsburgh (4-7, 0-7 ACC) on Sunday (March 23) at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
The victory marked the Cavaliers second 7-0 win against an ACC opponent. Virginia also went 6-0 in singles and won the doubles point against Maryland.
Virginia opened the day by winning the doubles point. Danielle Collins (St. Petersburg, Fla.) and Maci Epstein (Winter Park, Fla.) won 8-3 on the second court and Caryssa Peretz (Cherry Hill, N.J.) and Marie Faure(Toulouse, France) gutted out an 8-7 (7-4) win on the third court to earn the doubles point.
In singles, Epstein and Faure earned 6-1, 6-1 victories on courts four and six, respectively. Stephanie Nauta (Galveston, Texas) defeated Taylor Washington 6-2, 6-1 on court two before Peretz closed out a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Kimmy Borza on five. Collins, playing No. 1, earned a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Audrey Ann Blakely. Rachel Pierson(Princeton, N.J.) finished off the sweep with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Lolade Ogungbesan on the third court.
The Cavaliers will be back in action on Saturday, March 29 when they will play at Virginia Tech at 12 p.m. The Cavaliers return home on Saturday, April 5 when they host Georgia Tech at 12 p.m. at the Snyder Tennis Center.
#6 Virginia 7, Pittsburgh 0
Sunday, March 23, 2014
Boar’s Head Sports Club
1. Nauta/Pierson (UVa) vs. Washington/Blakely (UP) 7-6 (Abandoned)
2. Collins/Epstein (UVa) def. A.Wickman/Ogungbesan (UP) 8-3
3. Peretz/Faure (UVa) def. M.Wickman/Lu (UP) 8-7 (7-4)
Order of Finish: 2,3
1. #67 Danielle Collins (UVa) def. #86 Audrey Ann Blakely (UP) 6-3, 6-2
2. #47 Stephanie Nauta (UVa) def. Taylor Washington (UP) 6-2, 6-1
3. #55 Rachel Pierson (UVa) def. Lolade Ogungbesan (UP) 6-3, 6-4
4. Maci Epstein (UVa) def. Katherine Castro (UP) 6-1, 6-1
5. Caryssa Peretz (UVa) def. Kimmy Borza (UP) 6-0, 6-2
6. Marie Faure (UVa) def. Jocelyn Lu (UP) 6-1,6-1
Order of Finish: 6,4,2,5,1,2