Virginia Men's Tennis Downs William & Mary 6-1
March 30, 2014
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The fourth-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team concluded the non-conference portion of its schedule Sunday with a 6-1 win over William & Mary at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers (15-2) won their sixth straight match, while the Tribe fell to 13-8 on the season.
“This weekend gave us three matches to build on the momentum we got last week at Duke and North Carolina,” said head coach Brian Boland. “I am pleased that we had the opportunity to get a lot of guys some matches this week and see what they are made of. We learned a lot about where we are as a team and where we need to get better in order to be our best later in the season.”
The teams played four doubles matches to begin the match, with the Cavaliers winning three of them to take the opening point. J.C. Aragone (Yorba Linda, Calif.) and Jordan Daigle (Lafayette, La.) downed Scott Huang and Damon Niquet 8-2 at No. 4 doubles and Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Harrison Richmond (Pawleys Island, S.C.) posted an 8-4 win at No. 1 over Will Juggins and Aaron Chaffee to give UVa the advantage. After the Tribe’s Ben Hoogland and John Banks topped Ryan and Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) at No. 3, the Cavalier pair of Mac Styslinger (Birmingham, Ala.) and Luca Corinteli (Alexandria, Va.) clinched the point with their 8-6 win at No. 2 over Ben Guthrie and Addison Appleby.
In singles, the Cavaliers took five of the six first sets to take control of the match. Corinteli downed Banks 6-3, 6-0 at No. 6 to extend the lead to 2-0. Domijan added a 6-2, 6-2 win the No. 1 position over Hoogland to make the score 3-0. Justin Shane clinched the victory with his 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 2 over Juggins.
Aragone defeated Appleby 6-4, 6-3 at No. 3 and Daigle topped Huang 6-3, 6-4 at No. 4 to extend the advantage to 6-0. In the final match on the courts, Niquet defeated Richmond 6-1, 6-4 at No. 5 for William & Mary’s lone point.
The Cavaliers will return to ACC play next weekend as they visit Clemson and Georgia Tech.
#4 VIRGINIA 6, WILLIAM & MARY 1
1. Domijan/Richmond (UVa) def. Juggins/Chaffee (W&M) 8-4
2. Styslinger/Corinteli (UVa) def. Guthrie/Appleby (W&M) 8-6
3. Hoogland/Banks (W&M) def. R.Shane/J.Shane (UVa) 8-5
4. Aragone/Daigle (UVa) def. Huang/Niquet (W&M) 8-2
Order of Finish: 4,1,3,2
1. #24 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Ben Hoogland (W&M) 6-2, 6-2
2. Justin Shane (UVa) def. Will Juggins (W&M) 6-0, 6-2
3. J.C. Aragone (UVa) def. Addison Appleby (W&M) 6-4, 6-3
4. #76 Jordan Daigle (UVa) def. Scott Huang (W&M) 6-3, 6-4
5. Damon Niquet (W&M) def. Harrison Richmond (UVa) 6-1, 6-4
6. #106 Luca Corinteli (UVa) def. John Banks (W&M) 6-3, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6,1,2,3,4,5