No. 3 Virginia Wins 6-1 at Notre Dame
Box Score March 18, 2017
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The No. 3 Virginia men’s tennis team (15-0, 2-0 ACC) defeated No. 37 Notre Dame (8-6, 1-2 ACC) by a final score of 6-1 on Saturday (March 18) at the Eck Tennis Center in Notre Dame, Ind.
The Cavaliers won the doubles point and picked up victories on singles courts 1-5 to improve to 2-0 in conference play.
Junior Collin Altamirano (Sacramento, Calif.) and senior J.C. Aragone (Yorba Linda, Calif.) picked up a quick 6-1 win over Grayson Broadus and Brendon Kempin at No. 3 doubles. Senior Luca Corinteli (Alexandria, Va.) and junior Henrik Wiersholm (Kirkland, Wash.) clinched the doubles point with a 6-3 over 12th-ranked Eddy Covalschi and Josh Hagar.
Aragone put the Cavaliers up 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Grayson Broadus at No. 4 singles. Senior Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (Charlotte, N.C.) closed out a 6-0, 6-3 victory over No. 33 Josh Hagar at No. 1 moments before junior Alexander Ritschard (Zurich, Switzerland) finished a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Alex Lebedev at No. 3 to clinch the match. Altamirano and Wiersholm both won their first sets and dropped their seconds, but rallied in their thirds to give the Cavaliers the 6-1 victory.
Virginia will play at N.C. State (9-7, 0-1 ACC) next Friday (March 24) before returning home for its first scheduled outdoor match of the season, hosting Duke (8-5, 1-2 ACC) on Sunday, March 26 at 1 p.m. at the Snyder Tennis Center. Admission is free for all UVA home games.
#3 Virginia 6, #37 Notre Dame 1
1. #9 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (VA) def. #33 Josh Hagar (ND) 6-0, 6-3
2. #60 Collin Altamirano (VA) def. Eddy Covalschi (ND) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
3. Alexander Ritschard (VA) def. Alex Lebedev (ND) 6-1, 6-3
4. #59 J.C. Aragone (VA) def. Grayson Broadus (ND) 6-2, 6-1
5. Henrik Wiersholm (VA) def. Matt Gamble (ND) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
6. Guillermo Cabrera (ND) def. Luca Corinteli (VA) 6-4, 6-4
1. Luca Corinteli/Henrik Wiersholm (VA) def. #12 Eddy Covalschi/Josh Hagar (ND) 6-3
2. Matt Gamble/Alex Lebedev (ND) vs. Alexander Ritschard/Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (VA) 4-4, unfinished
3. Collin Altamirano/J.C. Aragone (VA) def. Grayson Broadus/Brendon Kempin (ND) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (4,1,3,6,2,5)